Hanging it up again....

1BigDog

Gone to the Dogs!
Ride
Size 12 Bates, extra wide
Just put the Harley up for sale. This was my third attempt to get back on a bike over the past few years after 40 plus years of riding. The ol' body and mind just does not want to cooperate anymore. So, if I do get back on it will be on a Rocket trike in the future. A Harley Tri Glide does not interest me in the least. And truthfully, the drivers out there scare the hell out of me now with all of the distracted driving going on. Here in town we had several fatalities from cars making a left turn in front of the bike. One was a motor officer and you cant find much better riders than those guys. Two geezer riders in Flagler ran head on into one another on A1A. No helmets either.

You guys and gals have been a great bunch and I will be checking in from time to time.

I know it was a tough decision and find myself pondering the same every time I ride. I've several close calls with idiot cagers over the last few weeks

I reluctantly reached the same decision recently after almost 55 years of riding. The realization that it was time came slowly. The first indication was how often I was riding. In years past I would ride in temps from mid 20's to 110 or so. I found myself avoiding the extremes until I was only riding when it was comfortable, something that never entered my mind before. I also found myself thinking about how lucky I'd been. Except for a couple of broken ribs a few years ago, suffered when trying to take a friends KLR down a rocky downhill that over matched both the KLR and my non-existent dirt skills, I had been accident free.

Looking back though I think the biggest thing was my wife. As I almost always rode alone, and favored the more desolate areas, I knew in the back of my mind that she worried. But, bless her heart, she never said a word. Only after I decided to sell the R3T, and not to buy a replacement, did she acknowledge her fears.

I do miss riding and often think that while I'm still physically able, I'd sure like to get back on a bike. But, as I suspect we all experience at some time or another, that little voice in the back of your head telling you, remember all the good times and consider yourself lucky to have come out unscathed.

The decision is not an easy one, and you'll likely second guess yourself. Just know, you're not alone, its a decision that all of us have to face. Its better to make it a day too soon than a day too late.

I reluctantly reached the same decision recently after almost 55 years of riding. The realization that it was time came slowly. The first indication was how often I was riding. In years past I would ride in temps from mid 20's to 110 or so. I found myself avoiding the extremes until I was only riding when it was comfortable, something that never entered my mind before. I also found myself thinking about how lucky I'd been. Except for a couple of broken ribs a few years ago, suffered when trying to take a friends KLR down a rocky downhill that over matched both the KLR and my non-existent dirt skills, I had been accident free.

Looking back though I think the biggest thing was my wife. As I almost always rode alone, and favored the more desolate areas, I knew in the back of my mind that she worried. But, bless her heart, she never said a word. Only after I decided to sell the R3T, and not to buy a replacement, did she acknowledge her fears.

I do miss riding and often think that while I'm still physically able, I'd sure like to get back on a bike. But, as I suspect we all experience at some time or another, that little voice in the back of your head telling you, remember all the good times and consider yourself lucky to have come out unscathed.

The decision is not an easy one, and you'll likely second guess yourself. Just know, you're not alone, its a decision that all of us have to face. Its better to make it a day too soon than a day too late.

i know what u mean about those 110 days.
if u get in the mode for a ride u can always drive down and pick my bike up and ride down south of tucson beautiful country to ride and we r on the south end next to free way.
herman

i know what u mean about those 110 days.
if u get in the mode for a ride u can always drive down and pick my bike up and ride down south of tucson beautiful country to ride and we r on the south end next to free way.
herman

Thanks Herman, what a generous offer. Having lived south of Chandler for the last 32 years most of my winter rides were in the direction of Tucson. I suspect I've ridden most of those roads at one time or another. Usually when I took the long way down I'd stay the night in Bisbee. That said, as tempting as it may be, slowly rusting skills and someone else's bike probably aren't the best combination.

Thanks again.

Back