Handlebar risers or bars?

Grape ape Hangers

Here I am at 6'3" sporting a Metz 880 around my waste. Notice how comfy I am with my 13 inch apes?

Another 2 or 3 degrees tilt and you'll be relaxing :D Rivco boards and all! Those 13inchers look perfect! Get you a BackBuddy for those long rides. It's a big relief for pennies on the dollars.

Last edited:
I have the standard rocket not the classic.
Would changing to the classic handlebars and no riser give me a more upright seating position?

I'd say, stay with the same bars and add the risers for a pulled back and upright ride. STILL listening....

I can imagine your forward stretch. The risers may be all that you need. I believe they give a 2" pull back. AGAIN?? if anyone has standard bars and risers: was a rerouting of cables necessary?? Or was the whole adaptation a synch? Phatdad's 13" bars look good; but cables and lines must be an issue.

I'd say, stay with the same bars and add the risers for a pulled back and upright ride. STILL listening....

I can imagine your forward stretch. The risers may be all that you need. I believe they give a 2" pull back. AGAIN?? if anyone has standard bars and risers: was a rerouting of cables necessary?? Or was the whole adaptation a synch? Phatdad's 13" bars look good; but cables and lines must be an issue.

I bought custom cables from Barnett Clutch and braklines from Speigler. Expensive but it is worth it. I also ran the wires internally to clean it up. There are 10 friggin' wires on the left side!!
Unfortunately nobody could duplicate Triumphs weird T for the brake and I ended up with dual braklines. See my other photos for a look.
I can tell you one thing, I don't pull wheelies with the apes on it like I used to. And thats a good thing.

I bought custom cables from Barnett Clutch and braklines from Speigler. Expensive but it is worth it. I also ran the wires internally to clean it up. There are 10 friggin' wires on the left side!!
Unfortunately nobody could duplicate Triumphs weird T for the brake and I ended up with dual braklines. See my other photos for a look.
I can tell you one thing, I don't pull wheelies with the apes on it like I used to. And thats a good thing.

Therre are pro's and con's about running the wiring internally in the tubes. For one thing, it's tedious. It looks good but depending on how you pull the wires and their relative position in the tubing, you might wind up with a short due to internal chafing. Remember, everytime you cycle the bars back and forth, the unsecured wires in the bars move a bit and the inside of the bars aren't as smooth as you might think they are due to plating and manufacturing. Insulation on wiring today is very thin so there isn't much between the copper and the well grounded steel tubing. Condensation internally can also play a part. Water is conductive, adding the potential short and as touchy as the Rockets are to electrical problems, you might wind up with very hard to diagnose problems.

Oh, I noticed there PhatDad that you like to do your tredmill work out in the snow. You can really burn a lot of calories if scivies are your preferred cover-alls :D That is a tredmill isn't it.

Oh, I noticed there PhatDad that you like to do your tredmill work out in the snow. You can really burn a lot of calories if scivies are your preferred cover-alls :D That is a tredmill isn't it.
It's a stair climber. I was thinking of replacing my R3 footboards with the steppers and making myself an "exercise bike." :D

I run a plastic sleeves over the wires where they pass through the holes at both ends. I sprayed silicone into the bars to reduce friction too.
I also put Armor All on my tire treads to get extra miles out of them...

Back