Handlebar risers or bars?

Gladiator

.020 Over
I am considering installing handlebar risers or new bars.
I am 6'2" and on the stock seat I am slightly leaning into the handlebars and not sitting straight upright.
On a 100 mile trip my back aches a little.
I beleive risers or new bars would sit me straight upright and be more comfortable is this true?
And whar risers or new bars should I consider.

I am 6'2" and on the stock seat I am slightly leaning into the handlebars and not sitting straight upright.
I beleive risers or new bars would sit me straight upright and be more comfortable is this true?

I haven't installed them yet, but I bought the classic handlebars (not the kit, just the bars) and the Rivco risers. I don't think there are many alternatives to the Rivco risers.

I'm 6'3 and the stock riding position is bad for me too. From what I've read, this combo should help a lot.

You shouldn't need both risers and new bars. I had Ultra-Classic pullback bars from Flanders Handlebars installed - they required longer cables, which should be the case if your riser/classic bar combination is as high and pulled back.

http://www.sideroadcycles.com/importedmotorcycles/ImportHandlebars/ImportMore/ImportUltra2-2.html

I also have a bad back. With the bars and Corbin Dual Touring seat with back rest, I'm in Lazy-Boy mode.

Last edited:
I did the risers only . . . you dont have to buy new cables or lines, just re-route them. I had bought the Triumph Kit and really didnt like the bars much. I did a 500 miler and my back was much better. Eventually I ended up putting the cables from the kit on and will probably put the new brake line on too, just to make it correct.

I have a 06 Classic with the risers. It set me back (Im 6 foot and 36in sleeve) so far that it feels like I am setting on my tailbone. I believe I am going to remove the risors or might change to custom seat. I am not comfortable with the combination yet. :mad:

Tall rider

I'm 6' 4" and installed the risers straight away since after a back surgery I didn't feel confortable. It worked fine till I installed a new classic touring seat with the rider back rest...
WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I have no screen to get the air blast but with this combination it's not your harms and back that fight against the elements anymore, it's just over, the back rest does it all.
You really feel relieved and enjoy it a lot more. I suggest you test ride it by your local dealer if possible?...
Anyway that's my experience...as a tall guy.
Happy new year to all...:bch:

Last edited:
I installed 13 inch ape hangers on my R3. I am 6'3" and I find them to be just right. They are well below my shoulder hight so I am not "Aping" when I ride. I bought 1 1/4" bars and wired them internally and added Kuryakin grips too. I had to buy custom cables which cost me an extra $300 or so. Handling changes quite a bit though, someone said to me in a previous post this is more of a sport cruiser and we are supposed to be up over the bars.
Check out my photo album. I will be adding some pics without the windshield soon.
Phatdad

...someone said to me in a previous post this is more of a sport cruiser and we are supposed to be up over the bars...
I'm bound to be a disappointment to someone someday:p "...Up over the bars", and feet dangling behind in crouch rocket fashion no doubt. No thanks!

I'm a short 5'11.75". I've often considered the Rivco Riser addition but then I sit up-right and realize immediately how much more comfortable the ride is, with my Classic bars and Touring seat. However, should I take the deep plunge ($580) with a new Classic Touring seat with integral back rest I may find that the risers will be necessary. With my Backbuddy from http://www.motorcyclebackbuddy.com/ I'm just as comfortable without spending the $700 for new seat and risers, and more for the proper cables and brake line.

You didn't mention whether you had a Classic or Standard. The former has longer (wider) and slightly pulled back bars. If you have the Standard, then the risers might be just right. I believe the cables and brake lines are the same on both. With the risers and Standard bars there may be no "rerouting" necessary. Anyone; Speak up if that's no so!

standard bars

I have the standard rocket not the classic.
Would changing to the classic handlebars and no riser give me a more upright seating position?

Back