Great jacket for Steve - when he gets to that end point maybe!

And I know what Phil is saying about the zipper. My Belfast jacket is the same way and it is definitely a men's jacket and pants. It was made in UK and was one of the last of four imported into the US when I bought it.
Belfast or Belstaff? I ask as all I come up with with BELFAST is very much a female cut.

For some odd reason (because it defies most of my thoughts on valid materials) I am drawn towards Waxed Cotton gear. Rose Tinted vision I think. I keep seeing gear on websites and thing "neat design" - Decent exterior pockets usually - almost always Waxed cotton.

Bike gear shops here are fairly poor for choice - I need a shopping trip in the UK. Maybe I can persuade one of the Brits to come with me and make critical comments. You know "Really? - you want to go out looking like that?". "You'll sweat like a fat lass". "It's a Jacket, not a corset". You know helpful stuff.

Oops, Belstaff. Not sure how I did that. It looks like the below but but back then when I bought it they were black. I also have the pants. Both are tartan lined. Lost the belt somewhere along the way though. A couple of years ago I rewaxed it. I couldn't find a suitable product here in the US so ordered the tin of wax from a UK equestrian store.

Roadmaster patch-pocket waxed-cotton jacket | Belstaff | MATCHESFASHION.COM US

In my younger days back in western Virginia in the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Belstaff.jpg

Last edited:
Oops, Belstaff. Not sure how I did that. It looks like the below but but back then when I bought it they were black. I also have the pants. Both are tartan lined. Lost the belt somewhere along the way though. A couple of years ago I rewaxed it. I couldn't find a suitable product here in the US so ordered the tin of wax from a UK equestrian store.

Roadmaster patch-pocket waxed-cotton jacket | Belstaff | MATCHESFASHION.COM US

In my younger days back in western Virginia in the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Belstaff.jpg

I still have an original and still oily and waxy Belstaff jacket and pants combo too - I doubt either will fit anymore just checked the pants and they are only a 'L'. :(;):)

Walden Miller was an Aussie company that made good leather jackets and made a knock off version too right down to the cordoroy soft collar and tartan lining. It was my first jacket 38 years ago and still have it too, battered and faded now though. It had a couple of offs in its day and the double cloth patched elbows have a few scuffs but still intact - waxed cotton is better than most think but horribly dirty especially if you do any dirt roads.

Last edited:
Belfast or Belstaff? I ask as all I come up with with BELFAST is very much a female cut.

For some odd reason (because it defies most of my thoughts on valid materials) I am drawn towards Waxed Cotton gear. Rose Tinted vision I think. I keep seeing gear on websites and thing "neat design" - Decent exterior pockets usually - almost always Waxed cotton.

Bike gear shops here are fairly poor for choice - I need a shopping trip in the UK. Maybe I can persuade one of the Brits to come with me and make critical comments. You know "Really? - you want to go out looking like that?". "You'll sweat like a fat lass". "It's a Jacket, not a corset". You know helpful stuff.

I can make you happy again! ;):D They would be your size too.

Oh for the day when we were young and fit and could wear our Belstaffs to drive the girls wild. Sigh!

I think I weighed about 180, or so, in that pic and now weigh, well, er, ah, yikes, somewhat more than that.

Edit: I also believe my hair is now grey but don't want to look in the mirror to confirm.

Last edited:
waxed cotton is better than most think but horribly dirty especially if you do any dirt roads.
And gets wax on everything when it's warm. Warm wax and Spanish summer dust (some of which will be animal poo). The issue with WC is once you start using - you're pretty much limited to use ONLY it. As the wax transfers to anything else. :banghead:

Then hits the bad part the day it drizzles. Right at the start of my riding life, I was lent a pair of Belstaff trousers to get home one drizzly evening. My mum would not let them in the house, so I hung them up in the garage. The following day the garage truly smelt like shyte. So I opted for a very early Rukka set of gear (endorsed by Barry Sheene no less :eek: ). To this day totally waterproof - but now a good 2 sizes too small.

I like waxed Cotton - but know I would end up using it very seldom here.

I found it to be good down to about 40 degrees if I layered a bit. When it got warm though it came right off.

Back