Congrats you made a great choice.

Just remember that this bike will take a while to get use to the power. So quick off the mark.

And what you will notice is that you will have a massive grin on your face every time you ride.

So, I pick up the bike and it is pristine. SO clean. I get an hour into my 3 hour drive and the heavens open up and it just pours for the next 2 hours. :(

The bike is now filthy. Ugh. How do you guys clean the intricate parts of this bike? There's dried dirty rain water all over it now and it is going to drive me crazy. Any suggestions on the best way to clean it up when it is 35ºF out?!

Thanks for sending joy my way! I can't wait to ride it more!

I wash mine with a good soapy car/truck wash in a bucket. I use a wash glove and an old toothbrush. Immediately I hose it clean of soapy water then chamois dry it. Any hidden or hard to get at water comes out or dries off when I take it for a blast. When I get home, I go over it and tidy up any dirty spots.

So, I pick up the bike and it is pristine. SO clean. I get an hour into my 3 hour drive and the heavens open up and it just pours for the next 2 hours. :(

The bike is now filthy. Ugh. How do you guys clean the intricate parts of this bike? There's dried dirty rain water all over it now and it is going to drive me crazy. Any suggestions on the best way to clean it up when it is 35ºF out?!

Thanks for sending joy my way! I can't wait to ride it more!

Just wash the matte black ..no wax or lemon pledge with in 50 miles of bike.

Multi- purpose Pledge my friend. You should see what it does to bug spatter. spray it on what you want to clean ,leave it sit for a couple minutes, micro fiber towels work best(toss'em away when dirty). others will chime in. Sweet looking Rocket!! Enjoy !!

Just wash the matte black ..no wax or lemon pledge with in 50 miles of bike.

never had a matte paint job but I'd be going with this recommendation and skip the chemicals..don't wanna mess up the paint job right off the bat..btw, congratulations!..stay safe out there..

It has 15,000 miles - which is my only hesitation. Still, I suppose that isn't much. How does that kind of mileage impact value, do you think?

Oops, I misread your original post and thought that you were approaching the initial 5K mile valve check service interval.

At about 5000 miles per season, most of us would consider that to be slightly below average usage for R3 Captains. It appears to have been well-maintained and has some decent goodies added on, so, IMO anything below $10K was a good deal.

At $7,500, I'd still say you got a great deal, so fuhgettaboudit as far as buyer's remorse is concerned and enjoy getting to know her.

You done good, Captain!:thumbsup:

Pledge does extremely well for cleaning, polishing and protecting every surface on your new ride except for the tire treads (be careful - Pledge is very, very slippery). It does require just a bit more thorough polishing to remove its residue from shiny surfaces. A good trick to make the engine look sowroom shiny and new is to spary it liberall with Pledge, run the motor for a few minutes, which will bond the Pledge to the pwdercoated motors surface and gently wipe off any excess.

Also, the most popular and generally most highly regarded replacement for the OEM Metzler on the rear is B'stones Exedra Max radial. It wears better, has a slightly taller aspect ratio that will improve handling and maneuverability and it is priced right. Once you are familiar and comfortable with the Rocket's performance envelope and when you need a new front tire, dropping it down to a 140 series tire will make the bike handle even better yet (much more nimble) by improving turn-in, tracking and making the Beast feel about 150-200 lbs lighter than the big girl actually is.;)

For me (this board's original crash-test dummy for said tires) this is the optimal tire setup for carving the twisties:

EXEDRA MAX (Radial) | Motorcycle Tires | Bridgestone Corporation - 240/55 R16

MICHELIN COMMANDER II Tire | MICHELIN USA - 140/75 R17

Back