Gear shift issue - Not so common

Mittzy

The Hooligan - Just Doing Stuff
Ride
2020 TFC #385, 2014 R3 Roadster 230hp (BRUTUS)
G'Day All,
Been a little while since I have posted - Lifes been incredibly busy.
I have a 2004 R3 (Early sump)
Only 35,000 Klms but sat for some time.
So I have gone over this bike and got it on the road and registered.
So my issue is this:
Riding from start is as normal first gear to second gear changes very well.
Changing to third and forth if where this is diffrent - when increasing revs to the next gear i have to lift the gear leaver several times till i feel the leaver is ready to select the next gear (Resistance on the gear lever).
I have opened the front of the moter to inpect all springs including the detent spring and all looks very good.
What can this be?
I am thinking could it be the following?
Selector Drum #4
Selector Drum Bearing #9
Detent Arm Assy #2 (This appears to be a early part - No Bearing wheel)
Has anyone had this issue previously?
I am hoping to not have to splti the motor (But i thank I will have to)
Thanks In Advance
Gear selector page.JPG

55294318-C1E3-42FF-A249-B7B394CC537D.jpeg

Last edited:
Yup, #12 I have one sitting here, same perzact symptoms. Bolt finally fell all the way out, and shifter just flops up and down, not connected to anything inside. I'm still contemplating the idea of cutting a small square piece out of the crankcase, just above where that bolt is, to replace the bolt, and make a plate to cover the hole when done. Would be soooo much easier than pulling the engine, and splitting the case, just for one stupid little 50 cent bolt !!!o_O

Yup, #12 I have one sitting here, same perzact symptoms. Bolt finally fell all the way out, and shifter just flops up and down, not connected to anything inside. I'm still contemplating the idea of cutting a small square piece out of the crankcase, just above where that bolt is, to replace the bolt, and make a plate to cover the hole when done. Would be soooo much easier than pulling the engine, and splitting the case, just for one stupid little 50 cent bolt !!!o_O
Youll never get that bolt in with trans in. Good idea but impossible

Back