Gas Tank Indicator: Seems to come on early (IMO)

technoguppy

Supercharged
Ride
2020 Rocket 3 GT
All,

I have a question about the low-fuel indicator on my bike. Without an Owner's Manual (bought the R3 used), it is difficult to tell if the indicator is functioning properly.

My low-fuel light came on and I promptly put gas in the tank, only to find that I only needed 16 or so litres to fill it? My tank supposedly holds 24 litres.

So my questions are as follows:

Is the tank truly 24 litres?

Is the low-fuel light indicator supposed to turn on when there is 8 litres left in the tank?

My mileage was roughly 240km before the light turned on, should I expect another 100+km with 1/3 of a tank remaining (for a total per tank mileage of 340km)?

Thanks in advance,

The fuel guage is crap. I think that's the one thing Triumph and Harley has in common. They both share the same fuel gauge vendor. You can screw around with trying to bend the float arm if you like, or just take the easier approach of manually calculating your mileage a few times until you're comfortable you have a pretty good read on the bike's average miles per gallon (liter, in your case) and then set your trip meter to zero every fill-up and go by that. Example, I know both of my bikes averages around 45 mpg, give or take a couple. That means I have a range of 250 miles easy. I don't even concern myself with looking for a gas station until I hit 200 miles, regardless of what the stupid gauge says.

The light doesn't indicate "low fuel", it's a half tank indicator. lol
It shows that it's time to turn around, your approaching the point of no return and now just have enough fuel to get back home. ;)

I use the odometer as well. but the R3T has a mileage counter and its pretty accurate. I know once I hit zero miles left I can go another 10miles safely without running out of gas. But I do set my Trip2 meter to 0 when I fill up just to keep track of issues that may pop up but cant be detected right away.

mutt

I did the fuel gauge adjustment that's posted on this site . Now my light comes on between 170 and 180 miles. I've done 200 on a tank so I'm pretty happy with the adjustment. I usually fill up by 150 miles just because.:cool:

But what if you're in your mid 50's and having the best time of your life on a motorcycle and you're not constantly watching the trip setting and the light coming on with about 2.3 USGal. left lets you know that in time, you might want to consider a stop to load up on fuel and unload your aging bladder:cool:. There are some that like the little light and I think the timing works great for me IMHO. It allows me the time to enjoy my ride and choose where to fuel at my liesure. Does that little innocuous orange light annoy y'all that much ? Put a little sticker over it and live on the edge. I really don't think I can push the Rocket more than 10 feet. Thank goodness for AAA with RV protection and my little orange light. :D

Back