Fuel Pump Relay clicking and gauges flashing

Skililo

.040 Over
Ride
2013 Triumph Rocket III Roadster

I have a 2013 Rocket III Roadster
After several months of wiring drama, my gauges are now flashing synchronously and the fuel pump relay is clicking on and off. I suspect the issue is with the Green/Red wire shown in the illustration above which connects to both the gauges and fuel pump relay.

What I'm looking for therefore is this Alarm Control Unit or Harness Link Connector [13]
So I can check connectors 1 and 3 to see if they are loose, dirty.

Anyone know where this Alarm Control Unit or Harness Connector Relay is located?
I see it on the wiring diagram but nothing indicating where it might be.

I understand that you are probably pulling out your hair to solve your woes but you might want to go over to the introduce yourself forum first, some folks here get cut up when new people don't and just ask questions then disappear into the night, there are many people likely to help you in our friendly community, as for your issue, I have not worked on a bike with an alarm fitted so can't help you
Cheers
Hans

I understand that you are probably pulling out your hair to solve your woes but you might want to go over to the introduce yourself forum first, some folks here get cut up when new people don't and just ask questions then disappear into the night, there are many people likely to help you in our friendly community, as for your issue, I have not worked on a bike with an alarm fitted so can't help you
Cheers
Hans

Hans there is no alarm wired to my Rocket III, no accessories or add-ons at all, it has basic factory supplied wiring and electrical components.

I know the Connector is under the tank, on the main harness, I believe it may have a jumper wire on it

The connector is under the tank on the harness on right side - it has a blanking plug with two wire loops on it.
It is very unlikely to be that.

What is your battery voltage?
Are your headlights on while this is going on? Are they on at full intensity? On steady, they are not blinking?
Also check that Fuse 6 is good.

The current path is:
Battery + .> Fuse 2 -> White/Blue to Key Switch; Green wire from Key-Switch to Kill/Run switch; Green Brown from Kill/Run Switch to Alarm connector jumpers and from there to the Relay and the Instruments;

The connector is under the tank on the harness on right side - it has a blanking plug with two wire loops on it.

Are your headlights on while this is going on? Are they on at full intensity? On steady, they are not blinking?

The current path is:
Battery + .> Fuse 2 -> White/Blue to Key Switch; Green wire from Key-Switch to Kill/Run switch; Green Brown from Kill/Run Switch to Alarm connector jumpers and from there to the Relay and the Instruments;

Thanks DEcosse, its a brand new Yuasa battery, literally two days old and fully charged/discharged on a Triumph approved charger before fitting.

The headlights are on low beam and steady - just the two gauges flickering and then synchronous from side to side while that fuel relay is clicking, almost like a flasher unit would.

Shall definitely check fuse number 6

Thank-you

The current path is:
Ah the 'lectical Guru is on the job :thumbsup:

Thank-you, it started six months ago with the bike just not starting at all.
Buddy of mine advised trying to scotch-lock the kickstand - see if it was that.
Did not work.

After bringing it to him, he scotch-locked the clutch switch (big mistake).

Replaced the starter switch on the right handlebar.
Bike ran for a while, then just got progressively worse and worse - ECM was very unhappy.

Took it back and he removed the scotch-lock after getting somebody from Newnan, GA to use logmein and network into the bike to troubleshoot.

I came home and took the scotch-lock off the kickstand.

Bike ran fine for a week, then started cutting out randomly.

Bought a brand new Yuasa battery and fitted that after prepping.

Bike still cutting out randomly.
Noticed when backing up the bike that as I turn the bars the gauges flickered on and off, all the warning lights coming on.

Lifted the tank again and checked insulation where the clutch switch had been scotch-locked

- that plug A -> was oily when I opened it, looked almost like an engine breather pipe blowing around it.
Sprayed both ends with contact cleaner and left it to dry for 30 minutes.

Reconnected and put the tank down - turned it on and the gauges started flashing, listened and the fuel pump relay is also clicking in synch with those gauges flickering from side to side.

As all those Relays are exactly the same $24 relay in the parts manual, swapped the one from the cooling fan #4 to #1 where the fuel pump relay sits.....no difference, so its not a weak relay.

Last edited:
I located the Alarm control unit and Harness link connector :)
It was under the tank, on the right side - - (not far from the clutch switch plug shown earlier)

The two jumpers are fine, I opened the switch and its full of yellow grease.
A little white and emulsified, but it seemed ok, so left well alone.
Plugged it back up and tucked it away safely.

Then while I was at it, thought to check the wires running into the back of the gauges - just in case.
Nothing cut or loose or broken there.

So reassembled and am waiting on the battery tender, put it in there earlier today to ensure I have a fully charged battery.
Then tomorrow morning shall turn the key on and see what it does.

Back