My standard Rocket III has a large clearview on it and I get 33mpg ALL the time! LOL

That is 'tank to tank' as I reset the Odo each tank and then divide miles covered into gas put back in - and it always comes out to 33mpg.

I have over 6k on her now, I do like 'getting on it a bit' from time to time and using the acceleration every excuse I get - but then that is why I bought the R3, to enjoy the power, not to poodle around.... I can still go 150+ miles on a tank - I am normally happy for a quick stop by then... I must admit I would not complain if I could go 200+, but life is a compromise and I'll take the power & fun over range any day! :D

That being said, I do have a dyno run booked for next Sat. as I called the local dealer to complain she runs out of puff over 110, hard to make 120 so I think I am missing some horses somewhere....

Skip
I went home to Henryetta, OK for Easter weekend and took the long way there and a longer way back and put about 450 miles on the bike for the 2 days. The best I could get was 27 mpg and that was running 70 to 75 mph most of the time on 2 lane back roads. I was upset that I was not getting at least 30 mpg. But after reading what you and the wife got, hell I feel good now. I was even starting to entertain going back to a stock set up.
Now I had topped her off earlier in the week and made a few afternoon runs and put 27 miles on that tank. I figured I had enough fuel to make at least a hundred miles before needing fuel. I guess I didn't realize how hard I had pushed it those first 27 miles because at 52 miles the fuel light came on. I know that it comes on 2 early but I didn't take any chances and stopped at the next place and got fuel. I was only able to get 4.5 gals in and the odo said 65 miles.
HAve you heard any more about the Tulsa Triumph boys getting set up with thier dyno? I called K&N Cycle and thier man that does thier dynos was out with a broken ankle. They took down my name and said they would give a call when he got back.

I am running a tune that PigR9 (Brian) gave me that was from a bike that was set up the same as mine and then dyno tuned. The guy told Brian that it made something like 152 hp/ 147 ft pd torq. with very little popping on decel. I am really very pleased with the performance and from what you are saying about your fuel milage. I should be very pleased with my fuel economy also.
Now if I could just figure out a way to do away with that knocking sound that comes out of the air filters, I would be really happy. It sounds fine if just cruzing or if I jump on it. But when you give it just a little throttle to get up a hill and maintain your speed, I swear it sounds like there is a knock in the engine and it bugs the piss out of me. I kept hearing about the crickets but mine sounds like a knock.
Oh well, I don't guess we can have everything can we?

Big T

BigT,
Hadn't thought to call them since the big sell at Tulsa Cycle a couple weeks ago.
Even rode up there once, but forgot to ask.
I'll do that though.
Say, you want to make a run to Kansas the 4th Sunday of this month?
To Cassoday for the breakfast.
Hopefully there'll be 4 rockets there,
my wife Dusty,
Atomsplitter, me, and you.
That ought to give them harley boys something to stare at,
especially when 2 out of 4 of them will do wheelies on command:eek::eek:

Skip
You just missed the ride to Cassoday for this month. Its the first Sunday of each month. But you betcha I'll ride with you guys next month but hey lets not wait till then to get together. I will be working thru this weekend but maybe the next one we can put a little ride together. I'll give you a call.

T

Brand new Roadster

Brand new Roadster, and I am getting 22mpg - admittedly in the centre of London - I can barely get out of second gear - first gear takes you easily up to the speed limit with a lot of revs to spare :eek:

As I pointed out in my ride report - the fuel trip computer reading is a bunch of arse - so dont rely on it at all. Perhaps the fuel warning light at a push, but seriously the computer is bollocks. I figured out that after the first tank fill after picking it up from the dealer.

I am hoping it loosens up to give me over 35 mpg average. But then I didnt buy this bike for commuting on (first time I have done so properly today, and it was crap), I bought it to go out for longer rides for pleasure. I use my scooter, which is bulletproof Honda reliability, will do a tonne if necessary and as it is loosening off is giving me around 80-85mpg mixed town commuting.

ANYthing will drastically drop fuel economy as soon as you go over 65-70, you know that right? Each ten mph quicker is like a logarithmic loading on horsepower requirements..

Even a Bugatti Veyron, wind tunnel tuned (just like the Rocket 3 lol) needs only 370hp to get up to 180mph. The other 631 horsepower are for the final 70mph..!

The mpg is frankly pathetic on these, and there are many more highly efficient motorbike engines out there (e.g. the 675 triple is very nearly as good as the 1050 model!) which give frankly more horsepower, more efficiently, with less hassle.

But that is not why we bought it, we bought it because it is literally the best engine you can get for tuning, and in stock is hugely unstressed.

I do not doubt that if we were to lose some of the lardy arse weight off the bike, the mpg would dramatically increase.

Hey, you guys live in the USA where petrol is subsidized, so that petrol is cheaper per litre than mineral water (how on earth can that be!). Be thankful you are not in the UK where petrol is £6 a gallon and increasing. It makes even less sense here! :D

rocket 3 fuel moleage

my 2007 r3 classic will get 40-44 mpg @ 70-80 mph @ 2900 -3100 rpm with steady throttle hwy 99 and I.S. 5 in California.
twisty roads with hills and running thru 2nd to 5th I'LL get 27-34 mph @ 2000- 4000 rpm.
Jimro7

Hey, you guys live in the USA where petrol is subsidized, so that petrol is cheaper per litre than mineral water (how on earth can that be!). Be thankful you are not in the UK where petrol is £6 a gallon and increasing. It makes even less sense here! :D

Subsidized my ass. We just don't have the guvment charging an outrageous amount of tax per gallon like you boys over the pond do. Yet, give the Dems some time and we'll be in the same boat.

Curious question though, when a Brit refers to MPG, does this mean Imperial Gallons or US Gallons? If my algebra studies are still with me, using Imperial Gallons will always result in a higher MPG value than using US Gallons.

For instance, 160 miles on 4 US Gallons yields 40 mpg.

However, 160 miles on the equivalent volume, 3.33 Imperial Gallons, yields 48 mpg.

I used to get 38 then I took the secondaries out and now I get a fairly consistent 33-34, that is everywhere. Here in town commuting to work or riding to Titusville to see my bro. I have an '08 R3T and wonder how much drag I get from the windshield. Of course I didn't buy it for the MPG, I bought it so I could stretch out and be about as quick as the FJR I traded in for it.

Back