Front Dresser Bars Powder Coating

BigBill

.040 Over
Last week my foot slipped on some paint. Not close to laying "BlackJack" down, but enough to make me think I need some insurance in case I do.
I ordered the Triumph Front Dresser Bars.
I am pretty sure that I won't be crazy about the look on the Roadster with that extra chrome up front, so I'm thinking of powder coating them before installing.
Either gloss black to match the Phantom Black or flat black to match the Roadster's engine color.
Has anyone done this?
Any issues (chipping or anything else)?
Photos?
Appreciate any insights.
Thanks,
Bill

Billl, I have a '07 Std in Mulberry Red and it has quite a bit of bling on her. If you have the Matte Black Roadster I can understand your not wanting to put the shiny stuff on it, however, my sense is that if you paint or powder coat the bars and do have a tip-over or (God forbid) worse, the result will be scratches or scars that are much more evident than they would be on chrome.

As you probably know, the kickstand on our R3s does not have a very steep lean angle. My bike, to my horror:eek:, has toppled over twice on its own accord in my quite flat, driveway and my front and rear dresser bars spared the old girl from exhibiting any visible signs of my embarrassment. Although the bars are slightly scratched, the scratches are below the line of sight and even if you kneel down to see them they are hardly visible amid all that shiny chrome. That would not be the case were they coated in any other material, I think. Another plus of the chrome option is that they are the easiest surface to clean and least prone to being marred by road debris. JMO, for what it's worth.;)

Thanks Phil, appreciate your time.

Billl, I have a '07 Std in Mulberry Red and it has quite a bit of bling on her. If you have the Matte Black Roadster I can understand your not wanting to put the shiny stuff on it, however, my sense is that if you paint or powder coat the bars and do have a tip-over or (God forbid) worse, the result will be scratches or scars that are much more evident than they would be on chrome.
Although my plan was the Matte Black, I ended up with the Phantom Black (don't get me started ...).

As you probably know, the kickstand on our R3s does not have a very steep lean angle. My bike, to my horror:eek:, has toppled over twice on its own accord in my quite flat, driveway and my front and rear dresser bars spared the old girl from exhibiting any visible signs of my embarrassment.

Yikes! I just figured I would drop her at some point, especially if I don't have dresser bars. I wasn't thinking she would drop herself.

Although the bars are slightly scratched, the scratches are below the line of sight and even if you kneel down to see them they are hardly visible amid all that shiny chrome. That would not be the case were they coated in any other material, I think. Another plus of the chrome option is that they are the easiest surface to clean and least prone to being marred by road debris. JMO, for what it's worth.;)

These are great points.
After considering them, I'm going to stick with the chrome for now. Sometime down the line, if she stays upright, and I can't stand the chrome, I may reconsider.
Cheers,
Bill

You're welcome, Bill.;)

It was a little embarassing to admit that I allowed my Mulberry Mistress to topple over, but anything goes to spare a fellow Captain similar pain.:eek::D

I believe you're exactly right Phil.
I didn't much like the front dressers on mine ( phantom black roadster) when I first put them on but I thought ( and think) they're pretty good insurance. I'm used to the look now.

Chrome on my 08 R3 lloked ok-but I was very pleased the way they "frame" the rad and make the front look better (to me).

BTW, the front Dresser Bars are fairly heavy duty, enough so that they might actually protect you in a bad get-off. The rear ones are only strong enough (due to their cheapo brackets/attachment points) to save your ride's tender vittles upon the occasion of a static or very low speed tip over - certainly not in a bad crash.

I'm not going to install the rear ones. First , i really don't much like the look ( each to his own ) and secondly because the mechs at the dealership advised pretty much the same as Phil.

BTW, the front Dresser Bars are fairly heavy duty, enough so that they might actually protect you in a bad get-off. The rear ones are only strong enough (due to their cheapo brackets/attachment points) to save your ride's tender vittles upon the occasion of a static or very low speed tip over - certainly not in a bad crash.

Absolutely Phil. As my riding buddy said as we discussed the merits of the front dresser bars "Screw the bike, you can always get another one. They could save your foot or leg".

I'm not going to install the rear ones. First , i really don't much like the look ( each to his own ) and secondly because the mechs at the dealership advised pretty much the same as Phil.

Ishmael, I am struggling with the rear dresser question myself. More protection if she tips, but not a great look.

It's kinda' weird that way, i.e., photos of the bike with the front and rear bars are not very flattering, but they do look quite snazzy in person. In the case of my bike, I believe that they (the rears) have drawn a lot of eyeballs and an equal amount of positive comments. That, plus they definitely saved my baby from preventable damages when she tipped over.:eek:

Back