1olbull

Riding Motor Since 1950
Ride
2012 R3R "Kong" - 2011 R3R "YurMama"
FYI - TO ALL . . .
Due to the unfortunate scarcity, many of us are in need of a good Dyno tuner that can use Tune ECU.

I offer this info hoping it may be of help to our southern forum brothers.

Last week I was stuck in San Antonio 4 days awaiting delivery of a new Excedra Max from Rocky Mountain ATV. I found the Ducatti - Triumph dealer service department VERY helpful with installing the new tire and as of new rear brake pads. While visiting & answering questions about my bike mods, I learned they have a dyno & the technician can tune with Tune ECU!

Last edited:
This is excellent information.

I would just add that I have found several tuners who *will* work with Tune ECU -- they just get a little frustrated and charge more, because the measurements must be taken, then the bike turned off, calculations and resulting adjustments made to the map, then the ECU reflashed, and the bike restarted and the measurements taken. Because this is not a deterministic process, this can take several or more iterations.

FYI - TO ALL . . .
Due to the unfortunate scarcity, many of us are in need of a good Dyno tuner that can use Tune ECU.
I offer this info hoping it may be of help to our southern forum brothers.
Last week I was stuck in San Antonio 4 days awaiting delivery of a new Excedra Max from Rocky Mountain ATV. I found the Ducatti - Triumph dealer service department VERY helpful with installing the new tire and as of new rear brake pads. While visiting & answering questions about my bike mods, I learned they have a dyno & the technician can tune with Tune ECU!

Great news Steve! Thanks :thumbsup:
Is that D'moto power sports?

This is excellent information.

I would just add that I have found several tuners who *will* work with Tune ECU -- they just get a little frustrated and charge more, because the measurements must be taken, then the bike turned off, calculations and resulting adjustments made to the map, then the ECU reflashed, and the bike restarted and the measurements taken. Because this is not a deterministic process, this can take several or more iterations.

Paul,
I do not know enough to fully understand the tuning process, BUT . . .
When Nels puts my motor up on the dyno and hooks everything up, he makes a few (3 - 5) pulls with adjustments in between and WAHLAH!
The whole thing takes 30 minutes or less. Perhaps twas a tad longer the very first time he did my motor.
Me thinks IF the tuner understands Tune ECU, the process is quicker and better than with a DynoJet Power Commander tune.
I am very interested in what others have to say about this . . .

@1olbull Steve, it's pretty straightforward -- TuneECU is doing just that -- working directly with the ECU. The ECU -- ours anyway -- do not have a functionality where where it can be changed in real time while it is running. This is in contrast with PCV or any other piggyback system for that matter - the ECU is still running, doing its thing, while the piggyback is actually telling the motor what to do, so the piggy back can be adjusted in real time while the motor is running, whereas the ECU being adjusted cannot be adjusted in real time, so necessarily takes longer.

Great news Steve! Thanks :thumbsup:
Is that D'moto power sports?

YES!
Did not see any sign of that name. but I can see from the pix tis the same.
The dealer is in a different building than is the service - about 100 yards apart.
Service is in building 500. Think "Joey" was the nice fellow I dealt with.

Joesmoe is correct. The problem with TuneECU is that the bike must be turned off to make map changes. So doesn't matter how good the tuner is with TuneECU any change is going to take longer than it would on a power commander. The thing with Nels is he's so good at what he does he knows what changes to make right away and therefore ends up having to make fewer of those changes. My 2 cents.

Yes indeed Great news! I have been in need of a proper tuning since I installed the triple K&n's. I guess it is time to replace the cross pipe in the exhaust and get her tuned for real!!

@1olbull Steve, it's pretty straightforward -- TuneECU is doing just that -- working directly with the ECU. The ECU -- ours anyway -- do not have a functionality where where it can be changed in real time while it is running. This is in contrast with PCV or any other piggyback system for that matter - the ECU is still running, doing its thing, while the piggyback is actually telling the motor what to do, so the piggy back can be adjusted in real time while the motor is running, whereas the ECU being adjusted cannot be adjusted in real time, so necessarily takes longer.

Which is why it may prove useful to use something like a PC or Dobeck EJK on top of ECU. My primary reason for ECU is to lift some of the to stock restrictions, such as those on the throttle plates, in addition to adjusting the fuel mixture.

I've mentioned a couple of local friends who do tuning, one using the Dobeck controller on Victorys and the other who uses different softwares such as Auto Tune. They both record air fuel mixtures at various speeds with a portable data logger. They use a wide band 02 sensor to measure AF mixture across the full range of AFR values and record measurements to the data logger. They both then adjust as necessary, one using Dobek and the other a tuning program back at the shop. The trick is to first know what your target AF mixture is and then adjust it as necessary from the data logger measurements.

The friend who uses software to program the ecu commented to me that many custom tuners guard their optimum AF mixture ratios for specific bikes and configurations as proprietary information. These are the guys who tune for professional racers.

He's going to look at TuneECU for me tomorrow and then we'll talk about optimum changes I might want to fine tune after I mount the new TORs and download a new tune. I always use the term "optimum performance" since guys like he are going for maximum performance. He was not aware that a software like ECU was available for free since many out there cost in the $500 range. Lucky us.

Edit: Edited for accuracy

Last edited:
Back