Fog Light question

Michael

.020 Over
Have any of you p/n A9738110, the fog light kit for the rIII? First time I saw the kit, I thought the configuration was appropriate for DRIVING lights, not fog lights. I am interested in knowing what type of beam it generates; a flat, broad horizontal beam as in the traditional fog lights, or a piercing straight narrow "pencil" beam that illuminates far into the distance. While at Norm Engle's a couple of Saturdays ago, I saw the "PIAA" (don't know if the spelling is correct) light configuration, which looks to be driving, as opposed to fog. But, I wanted to keep the bike Triumph accessorized and decided if these were "driving", they might be what I want.

The "fog lights" were installed on my Rocket when I bought it. They do put out a broad horizontal beam, which do work well in the fog or at night. The side of the road is better lit when these are on. They are a nice compliment to the rockets headlights.
Dave
06 Classic R&W

Fog vs. driving

Thanks Triroketman for the response. I was at one time an avid enthusiast of English sports cars, used to mildly modify, restore, and tune them, and I figured if ANYONE knew the difference between fog and driving, it would be the British! However, I live in a somewhat secluded area of Southwest Missouri in a country setting with miles of winding curving (usually deserted) roads, and I was hoping that perhaps these lights would be of the "pencil" beam variety, which really come in handy for recognizing animals, like deer, at night at high speed. Guess I'll think it over. Thanks again.

Moving roadside targets

Thanks for the gracious offer to export some of your deer to my area, but I'll respectfully decline. As you know, they come close to the "immovable object" when caught in the unsuspecting headlight!! However, should you insist, I could offer a trade for animals of perhaps a more unusual nature. See, I live in Dade County, across the lake from Cedar county, which used to be home to several hog/pig farms until our ever-surveillant EPA essentially shut them down as being too hostile to our environment (read surface runoff). For whatever reason, the county is now home to significant numbers of these animals which have escaped the farm, attained a semi-wild status and (I've read) can destroy between four and five acres of farmland a night foraging for food. I'm told they are such a threat now that ANYONE can shoot them without a permit! Fortunately, they haven't been able to cross a Stockton Lake bridge to extend into my county. So, maybe I could trap a semiload to swap a few for some of your deer?

Wow,.....a hog shoot,....how kewl would that be.
I've seen a TV special that described the transformation domestic pigs go thru when placed in the wild. It's like a Jekyll and Hide thing with tusks growing large and thick hair forming, along with a really mean aggressive disposition. :eek: I wonder if they taste like chicken?!:D

Hopeful ham

Actually, I've spoken to a guy that has taken advantage of the "free for all" and claims that it's excellent meat. . .hasn't had time/generations to pickup the "wild" taste I guess. As for the agression, I have no doubt that they are exciting to hunt, one of the few times in your life you'ld be praying your thirty ought six doesn't jam. . .

Hog Hunting

I've seen a TV special that described the transformation domestic pigs go thru when placed in the wild. It's like a Jekyll and Hide thing with tusks growing large and thick hair forming, along with a really mean aggressive disposition.

I've seen this exact thing happen to perfectly normal people who buy American Bikes! Weird, isn't it? :confused:

Agression

Boy, could I respond to that one!! But I guess it's better to be nice, huh? In all seriousness though, due to my one-time position in the motorcycling industry, I think I've been priviliged to ride many of the brands available since the early sixties, from Velocette to Guzzi, from BMW to a Yamaha roadracer, from Suzuki water buffalo to a Norton 850, Honda CBX to Harley and I think most all bikes have at least SOME redeeming qualities, but I have always liked to own something with personality and distinction. Not necessarily pricey, just maybe character. And, I've always felt that Triumph (and several other British bikes I can name) really fit the bill. And that was before the latest generation of Triumphs. After I dismounted from my first ride on the first r3, I told my wife that I felt (my opinion only here) that this bike was perhaps the most perfect bike I'd ever been on. In an age where bikes are designed to become ever more focused on a single type of performance, this bike is more versatile than any I've known.

:) What a great thread...we go from fog lights...to exporting deer...hunting semi wild pigs with our Winchesters...to a nice rundown of bikes driven...I think you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned choosing a bike with "character"...This was what I too was looking for after driving for over 35 years...The Rocket has plenty of tradition..versatility and character to suit me...and I don't pass myself every couple of miles on the highway...Glad I made it this far to own one...Actually back to the lighting situation you should look into a pair of front caliper mounted Moto Lights....They have been getting great reviews from fellow Captains...and they look cool too

Back