Floppy Gear Changer

Dennsell

Top Fuel
Ride
Bonnie T 100, unfortunately not Rocket lll Country
Hey Yawl long time no see :D Hope yous all well.....?

I have a small problem.. about a Km from home the gear change lost position and flopped around like a Drunken Tart...so Im guessing Im about to replace that **** coil spring.. what you guys recon ? Didn't need this right now.. better buy 2 maybe and a clutch lifter mod..
Now where is that info Warp so kindly posted.

Hey there, how you been mate? I'm assuming you've checked that the shift lever is still connected to the small linkage and that this is connected to gear actuator on the side of the engine. Pretty obvious really but I've both come unscrewed at various times.

Assuming your problem is more serious it does sound link the detent spring, which would mean you're also jumping out of gear and finding it difficult to engage pretty much any gear. The fix isn't as bad as you might think so don't let anyone tell you the engine has to come out. It can be got at from the front of engine. My sump also had to come off because a piece of the spring went missing but that's not always necessary.

I wouldn't try doing it myself but I'm sure someone like Warp will be able to "talk" you through it if you're that way inclined. Good luck.

Hey there, how you been mate? I'm assuming you've checked that the shift lever is still connected to the small linkage and that this is connected to gear actuator on the side of the engine. Pretty obvious really but I've both come unscrewed at various times.

Assuming your problem is more serious it does sound link the detent spring, which would mean you're also jumping out of gear and finding it difficult to engage pretty much any gear. The fix isn't as bad as you might think so don't let anyone tell you the engine has to come out. It can be got at from the front of engine. My sump also had to come off because a piece of the spring went missing but that's not always necessary.

I wouldn't try doing it myself but I'm sure someone like Warp will be able to "talk" you through it if you're that way inclined. Good luck.

Hello young Richard.. I wish it was just the link mate.. the symtoms are as you say.. so I will try to get the parts tomorrow.. I need the bike for work..

If its the floppy shifter then most likely its internal but you still have to open the front up for that so you can check out the denten roller and see if its ok first.

If its the floppy shifter then most likely its internal but you still have to open the front up for that so you can check out the denten roller and see if its ok first.

Yep will do, problem is working shifts.. hope to get to it bit by bit got the springs and gasket but pin is order no stock :(

All fixed.:). it was a lot of work for a $5 detent spring.. See Pic Top at the Back..

Pedro thanks for the kind loan of the hub lock ring.. very much appreciated.:D
Warp thanks for you input and advice Sir.. always appreciated.:D

2 local triumph dealer didnt all the parts as usual.. bloody hopless, said it costs money too keep so many different parts..

So the Dollar over rules Triumph impecable after sales service what a crock.

Thingz have changed,
Live by the Sword.. Die by the Sword.

Now reads
Live by the Dollar.. Die by the Dollar.

Welcome to 2013 :mad: sorry Im fine now! :eek::)

Attachments

• DSCF2002.jpg
    DSCF2002.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 111
Glad it worked out so well for you Dennis. Now I have someone to ask quesions about doing it when mine fails. Espcially since my 05 is most likely set up the same as yours with the older clutch components/ Only I already have a Billet MTC clutch basket and new style lifter piece, pressure plate, roller bearing and MTC fibers just waiting for w2hen I have to open he up. This will not be to far in the future as my timing chain temsioner is almost all the way out meaning a needed change. This is where I will try my new ideas on how to change the tensioner without loosing or relaxing chain tension. and increasing the life span of the chain set up. just another thing that has been bouncing around in my pumpkin for a while now.

Back