Anyone run one of these Flo Oil Filter on their R3? I've used them on all my Harleys and they are capable of reducing oil temperature by a few degrees.
I use a similar Stainless Steel filter by K&P Engineering - Road Bikes – K and P Engineering. I use them on all my bikes for the last eight years already. I originally struggled to clean them properly, though, till I got an ultrasonic cleaner.

They look eerie similar :D
They do. Like the ones sold by Scotts Performance; Scotts Performance Products. I suspect only K&P Engineering manufactures them and allows others to sell them under their respective Brandnames.

I own an 1190 KTM Adventure. They originally had a nasty habit of going through water pump seals quite quickly (sorted in the interim), which would allow water into the oil, not destructive by itself, except that the water would disintegrate the paper OEM oil filter in no time. Now that is NOT good. Not only do you end up with all filtered-out gunk in your bearings, but you might also get pieces of filter paper blocking off oil passages. Luckily the 1190 KTM engine also features an oil strainer, but few other engines do.

I am totally sold on SS oil filters by now and will never use their paper equivalents unless it is a brand new model for which a SS oil filter is not available yet. Very unlikely. I have read plenty of bad-mouthing of SS oil filters, particularly in forums, and that they do not filter fine enough. Touche - SS oil filters go down to 35 microns, while the best paper oil filters (like Mahle) do 10 microns. Few ever mention, though, how quick a 10-micron surface can become saturated with like-sized debris, and that once blocked, that same 10-micron oil filter runs with its bypass valve wide open, even spilling previously filtered gunk through that - totally unbeknown to its proud owner. And that OEM oil filters often only average 50-90 micron - for that exact reason - not to clog it up and end up running on its by-pass.

I clean my SS oil filters by soaking them in gasoline first, followed by a thorough brush (soft bristles only), compressed air (mainly to dry the gasoline off) and lastly, in a detergent bath in the ultrasonic cleaner. The ultrasonic cleaner operates on the basis of microscopic cavitation bubbles induced by high-frequency pressure (sound) waves, agitating the water and lifting dirt off almost anything. Also very popular to clean jewellery with, amongst many others.

Back