English Tim

Me, My Bike and I
Ride
Triumph Rocket III Tourer (2011)
Hi All,
Battery flat as bike been stood unused over Christmas/New Year, so I need to recharge.
Do I need to remove the battery from the bike or can I recharge in situ? If in situ, do I need to undo the connections?
Any help greatly appreciated.
Cheers Tim

I keep mine on an Optimate all the time it isn't being used. If your battery is more than 3 years old my advice is...get a new one! If was drained dead...consider a new one. I don't think any battery should be allowed to go flat. If mine ever went flat, it would be gone.

I keep mine on an Optimate all the time it isn't being used. If your battery is more than 3 years old my advice is...get a new one! If was drained dead...consider a new one. I don't think any battery should be allowed to go flat. If mine ever went flat, it would be gone.
Hi. Thanks for the advice. I’ll see how the charge goes, then I’ll probab get a new battery as you suggest. Cheers

Tim, what level of charge was remaining in the battery when you first tried to start the bike today?
Hi GOC, she turned over a few times but wouldn’t fire up. Then starter just started ticking- battery dead. Not started the bike since early December btw.

Right , so the battery hadn't reached the stage of what's termed 'deep discharge'. This is the point where the battery is down to less than 12% and the plates warp or the fluid changes and the battery gets to a point of no return. It then becomes as much use as titties to a chicken or better employed as a door stop.

Yep charge it up...it may at least last til spring....though I would still schedule a replacement as more frequent riding is possible.

Right , so the battery hadn't reached the stage of what's termed 'deep discharge'. This is the point where the battery is down to less than 12% and the plates warp or the fluid changes and the battery gets to a point of no return. It then becomes as much use as titties to a chicken or better employed as a door stop.
Yes, there was a bit of charge there, just not enough to get her breathing. On charge at mo, so I'll see what occurs tomorrow. Cheers

Back