Jeremy

.060 Over
Ride
2009 Triumph Rocket 3 Touring
My local shop changed my oil the 09 r3t. I always do my own maintenance, but due to my schedule, i took it in. This is a family owned reputable shop and not a triumph dealer.
I found that they did not change the final drive oil in the rear end. I couldnt find the recommendation for what is recommended for this and how to change it. Looks like you have to take the left can off to change it out. Can someone confirm this is true and what is recommended for a midwest climate in Iowa where we have hot weather and humidity in the summer?

image.jpg

Thanks. I was thinking this or the 75w-140 for the hotter weather.

Any info on how to change it? I think i need to remove left pipe....drain.....install drain plug, and then fill till it starts to come out and then put the full plug in, install the left pipe and done. Correct?

I use Castrol 75W90, the best way to change it is to remove the rear axle shaft and the final drive and drain it out of the filler plug. The drain plug breaks easily and you just as well lubricate the splines on the driveshaft with a high quality Moly lubricant while you are at it.

Thanks. I was thinking this or the 75w-140 for the hotter weather.

Any info on how to change it? I think i need to remove left pipe....drain.....install drain plug, and then fill till it starts to come out and then put the full plug in, install the left pipe and done. Correct?
Lucas is good I use mobile 1 and change it every other oil change. Thats over doing it but it takes a while to go thru a quart. Anyway the most important thing to remember is the drain plug has a hollow bolt with a magnet in it. It does not take much torque at all. So little lots of people mess it up. Be very carefull use the torque specifications. The filler plug gets a lot of torque you can stand in it. Most people get them mixed up. Drain and refill. Not sure if your pipe is going to be in the way. If it is then yoi are right pull it. If it is not in the way save yourself some time :)

I use Castrol 75W90, the best way to change it is to remove the rear axle shaft and the final drive and drain it out of the filler plug. The drain plug breaks easily and you just as well lubricate the splines on the driveshaft with a high quality Moly lubricant while you are at it.
Never thought to just remove the wheel entirely To do the splines too.

Lucas is good I use mobile 1 and change it every other oil change. Thats over doing it but it takes a while to go thru a quart. Anyway the most important thing to remember is the drain plug has a hollow bolt with a magnet in it. It does not take much torque at all. So little lots of people mess it up. Be very carefull use the torque specifications. The filler plug gets a lot of torque you can stand in it. Most people get them mixed up. Drain and refill. Not sure if your pipe is going to be in the way. If it is then yoi are right pull it. If it is not in the way save yourself some time :)
As has been stated, use the 90 instead of the 140 in your opinion as well?

As has been stated, use the 90 instead of the 140 in your opinion as well?
If the book calls for 75w90 you are in Iowa not the desert :) I'd stick with what the book recommends. Like I said I change mine more then recommended just so I don't have a jug of oil laying around. It doesn't take much. The book doesn't say it except for inital install. But once a year I remove the bevel box and apply some Molly Kote to the drive shaft splines. And the spline cup on the bevel box.

If the book calls for 75w90 you are in Iowa not the desert :) I'd stick with what the book recommends. Like I said I change mine more then recommended just so I don't have a jug of oil laying around. It doesn't take much. The book doesn't say it except for inital install. But once a year I remove the bevel box and apply some Molly Kote to the drive shaft splines. And the spline cup on the bevel box.
Thanks!

You can do it without removing the can. Use a 90 degree Allen keys but you won’t be able to get a torque wrench on it, so be careful when you tighten her back up!

Back