Gear Position Sensor

RockOn

Turbocharged
Ride
2006 R3 Classic, 2008 R3T, 2009 Harley Ultra
Having read recommendations about cleaning sensors I removed the GPS on my '08 R3 Touring model. I used electrical contact cleaner. I was surprised by a couple things, first, the sensor does not look like pictures I have seen and second, I did not find a plunger spring that I have read about in several posts. The brass colored pin is rigid and does not move in or out. The yellow disc/pin does rotate. I have tried to keep the pin in the same orientation as it was when removed from the engine case. Does it matter? How does this sensor work? Picture attached. Thanks.

Update: I've attached picture of the inside of engine case where the GPS attaches. I see a cylinder with a hole near it's outer circumference. Does the sensor pin fit into that hole?

Attachments

• GPS '08 R3T.jpg
    GPS '08 R3T.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 19
  • GPS '08 R3T #2.jpg
    GPS '08 R3T #2.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
The earlier Rockets had a brass pin (#7) on a spring (#6) which sat into that hole on the gear position shaft (#5). The shaft rotates with the gear shift drum (#4) and has 7 positions courtesy of the detent wheel (#10), 1-N-2-3-4-5-6.
But of course 6 is not used on our dear Rocket IIIs.

1649788672598.png

The pin in the 04-09 Rockets (non Roadster non Touring) moved around with the shaft and contacted several spots on the GPS.
Cleaning did these sensors good for that reason.

In the newer Rocket IIIs (Touring and Roadster), it's the other way around - the pin is built into the sensor and moves around with the turret on the GPS face. The contacts are sealed up inside it. The pin sticking out of the GPS must sit into the hole on the end of that gear position shaft, yes.

New style (left) vs old style (right)
20180712_205755.jpg

6 speed bro.png

GearPositionSensor-350px.jpg

The earlier Rockets had a brass pin (#7) on a spring (#6) which sat into that hole on the gear position shaft (#5). The shaft rotates with the gear shift drum (#4) and has 7 positions courtesy of the detent wheel (#10), 1-N-2-3-4-5-6.
But of course 6 is not used on our dear Rocket IIIs.

1649788672598.png

The pin in the 04-09 Rockets (non Roadster non Touring) moved around with the shaft and contacted several spots on the GPS.
Cleaning did these sensors good for that reason.

In the newer Rocket IIIs (Touring and Roadster), it's the other way around - the pin is built into the sensor and moves around with the turret on the GPS face. The contacts are sealed up inside it. The pin sticking out of the GPS must sit into the hole on the end of that gear position shaft, yes.

New style (left) vs old style (right)
20180712_205755.jpg

6 speed bro.png

GearPositionSensor-350px.jpg
Hey, many thanks! :thumbsup::)

Back