Gear position sensor

Oldman68

.020 Over
Ride
2012 Rocket Roadster Red Haze
Finally I got around to replacing the gear position sensor today once I receiving fitting instruction directly from Triumph after I complained that supplying a modified sensor Kit which is not a plug and play replacement they should have instruction with it!!. After reading this it seamed fairly straight forward except for 1 item which said (check service manual) to remove the air filter box so that the wiring had too route in front of it, so I looked up in the service book on how to remove the air box and you have to basically dismantle most of the bike to do this, remove tank/seat/side panels/battery/rear wheel/rear mud guard the list goes on, you can see why Triumph did not issue a recall. Anyway after having a laugh I pulled myself together and got on with the job regardless and re routed the wiring without ripping the bike apart. So fitting this modified sensor Kit which comes not only just the sensor but also a fly lead as this has to be plumped into the wiring harness sensor circuit (4 connection). The new sensor comes with 4 wires where as the old sensor has 3, also on the Roadster only you have to swap around 1 wire in the taco as the Roadster displays the gear position. This is the fiddliest part to do, you have to dismantle the taco unplug it swap the wires around and refit. So you can see my gripe as this is what you call a bodge job from Triumph and me £90.00 out of pocket.

Last edited:
Could have saved you some trouble

Next on my list of thing to do is changing the coolant soon, the genuine Triumph coolant is about £14.00 a ltr x 3 which seems steep so is there a good equivalent UK brand cheaper any recommendations !.

Next on my list of thing to do is changing the coolant soon, the genuine Triumph coolant is about £14.00 a ltr x 3 which seems steep so is there a good equivalent UK brand cheaper any recommendations !.
I read a rather lengthy article about what to use for my 2015 Rocket when I changed the fluid last year. I can't find the article with all the research the guy did but it boiled down to about 2 brands. I also did all of the hoses at the same time with the newer type silicone hoses. This is not green in color but rather blue. It fit and surpassed all the needs for the bike.

Attachments

• 20230223_114950.jpg
    20230223_114950.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 8
I read a rather lengthy article about what to use for my 2015 Rocket when I changed the fluid last year. I can't find the article with all the research the guy did but it boiled down to about 2 brands. I also did all of the hoses at the same time with the newer type silicone hoses. This is not green in color but rather blue. It fit and surpassed all the needs for the bike.
You would think this coolant would be ok for the Triumph R3 as it says it's good for all of the car types with aluminium and all the other metals they use these days, but what confuses me is they say it's got to be Hoat coolant. What the hell does this really mean? Is it just marketing?

You would think this coolant would be ok for the Triumph R3 as it says it's good for all of the car types with aluminium and all the other metals they use these days, but what confuses me is they say it's got to be Hoat coolant. What the hell does this really mean? Is it just marketing?
Well, if you read the print on the the label you will see it specifically say it is an HOAT coolant. Hybrid Organic Acid Technology...It's under Antifreeze + Coolant

Engine ice if you ride in hot climates. Rode through hell last summer and bike oil stayed about 200° if I remember right.

Back