GaryA

Supercharged
Ride
2010 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster
Noticed a small patch at the rear of the bike this morning and discovered that oil has leaked at the final drive onto the rear wheel rim, around the hub where it goes into the rear drive.

Before pulling it to pieces, what can I expect when I remove the rear wheel?

Is there a final seal that has let go and allows the drive oil to leak past?

Only at 32000 kms, but the tyres have just been done so can the seal be damaged?

Thanks for any info.

Had a bit of a play at lunch time in the carpark.

There is a rectangular opening in the bottom of the final drive housing, and bits of something hanging out around the wheel hub.

Could be a seal, or a plug that is supposed to be in the housing?

Had a bit of a play at lunch time in the carpark.

There is a rectangular opening in the bottom of the final drive housing, and bits of something hanging out around the wheel hub.

Could be a seal, or a plug that is supposed to be in the housing?
If you talking about the square hole in the black plastic dust cover its for debris to fall out. You will really have to pull the wheel and look. I have seen the grease break down and seep out there on the rim and freak people out when it was just a little to much on the spline the last tire change. Have you checked the oil level in the unit?

Warp, so that's a plastic cover?

It doesn't seem to be leaking through that opening.
More, out onto the wheel hub where it goes into the final drive.
Its not just oil, or grease, but some hard rubber bits stuck in around the wheel hub as well.

Interesting to see what you find. I’ve had my rear wheel off a few times, can’t quite figure out what you may be seeing.

I was having a difficult time understanding what you are describing until I pulled up this old pic of my 07 Classic with the rear wheel off. It's been a long time but I believe there is a seal behind the splines. If you are seeing oil on your wheel and pieces of debris coming through that hole, there is a possibility that the seal might have come apart. Like Warp said, the only way to determine the problem is to pull the wheel and take a look. It's really not a big job. One of the things to consider is that you might have lost quite a bit of gear oil going down the road if that seal has been damaged. Hard to say.

I wouldn't ride it too much until you've identified the issue.

NW3 036 (1408 x 1056).jpg

I had 2 differentials replaced under warranty, on my 2013 Roadster. Had 90 weight leaking from the square opening on the bottom. Third one was the charm, no more leaks.

just a wild guess
there r whats called cush drive rubbers in the final drive to absorb the shock like when u r on and off throttle.
i think u need to change your rubber:laugh::laugh::roll::roll:
i do not think that the rubber is part of that seal.

correction i think that the rubbers is in the rim.
edit
but they would come out of the hole u said if they tore up.

just a wild guess
there r whats called cush drive rubbers in the final drive to absorb the shock like when u r on and off throttle.
i think u need to change your rubber:laugh::laugh::roll::roll:
i do not think that the rubber is part of that seal.
The cush drive cushion is inside the wheel if it were to disintegrate it would stay inside the wheel.

Back