CCjon

All who wander... seeking fresh cup of coffee
Ride
2011 R3 sidecamper, GSA/EZS rig
After a 140 mile ride today, checked the temperature at each exhaust clamp:
Front Cylinder - 160 F
Middle - 193 F
Rear - 184 F

Does this seem normal? Has anyone else checked their header temps after a ride?

I got a small 2nd or 3rd degree burn last from about 2 seconds of touching #3, through jeans last year in Texas at RAA West.

The rocket will make the headers glow, bone stock with the stock tune when run moderately hard.

Neville lush posted a picture of exactly this last year.

Hot exhaust is the nature of a 2.3 liter engine pushing all the heat into a 1 foot square area.

They get at least this hot
CB45612E-5AA0-4027-97D2-51FA0FF752F6.jpeg

Last edited:
The blue areas on your pipes are "exactly" where mine start burning the "ceramic" coating off to start. Then it spreads from there.

I 100% do not and cannot, endorse coating pipes on a built rocket 3 with the cerakote black that 99% of coating places use. It seems to work fine on a stock engine fitted with pipes though.

I've had my setup done 4 times now and every time the coating degrades due to heat, not max temp, but the speed of transition. It just can't handle the rapid onset a built motors gives.

I'll be moving to white lightning coating. It's allegedly the best, period. Time tested and supposed to be proven by racers. Time will tell once mine are coated....

I have ordered a chrome header and I am wondering how to keep it from bluing. I can't remember ever seeing a Jardine header turn blue.

How did they do it ?

Jardines I have seen all have heat shields. I always have a giant fan blowing on the new exhausts when tuning the bike.
Confirmed. My Jardines are coated black but I don't think it's a ceramic. The Chrome heat shields wrap 180 degrees around the actual pipe.

As SuperTrapp bought Jardine and promptly shut down production of most of their products around 2010?? not many of the newer Roadster-ready versions were produced.

Here is my 2005 with 14 year old Jardines installed in 2006 and riden moderately.
Almost no discoloration outside on the shields but you can see some of the actual pipe changes...

I was working with CES last year to basically copy the Jardine set up for my R3R. Ceramic coated header fully covered with chromed ceramic coated heat shields plus chrome ceramic coated mid-section and polished stainless muffler for a more cohesive matching product (but not fully chromed!).

They were inhaling something as the final quote for a 3-into-1 kit was $3,383 AUD = $2,180 USD (delivered).
I believe the Jardine 3-into-2 system was $1,250.

IMG_4140.JPG

Back