First Cylinder Exhaust Carbon Residue

Hubguru

It's Throttle Time!
Ride
2017 Rocket III Roadster, 2012 Kopavi V8 Trike
Hi Folks,

I have a 2017 R3R with Carpenter 210+ kit with a few thousand miles on it, running well. I have a bare sidewinder SS pipe on but summer time is brutal so I pulled the pipe off to get powder coated and noticed my first cylinder has black carbon residue where the other exhaust ports are clean. I'm discussing the issue with Carpenter to diagnose, thought you folks might also have some ideas of things to check for. The residue is barely wet, can't really tell if it's oil or not. Bike idles well and runs strong, no smoke that I can tell. maybe a little dark smoke when blip the throttle. Any ideas? Thanks. JR

IMG_2451.jpg

Take it back to Carpenter and get them to do a full reinstall and tune under warranty. It is obviously defective. 😁

Either that or check that the low tension leads on your front coil are tight. Then use TuneECU to check throttle body balance.

What did Carpenter say about it?
He was interested in the idle performance and if the carbon deposit was wet or dry and asked about any smoking. When I get the pipe back from powder coating he wants to hear the bike run to see if he can get any clues. He didn't seem to think it would be valves seat or tight lifter, could be some oil blow-by on the rings or throttle bodies needed balance maybe half a dozen other things.

Back