Engine cuts out if I move the handlebars

scottisharab

Standard Bore
Ride
rocket 3
Please help guys and gals I've a 2005 rocket 3 with 13000 miles on the clock, the bike is sitting on the side stand with the handlebars to the left, put the key in and start the engine ok get on the bike and turn the steering to the central position and the bike cuts out,the bike wont restart in the central position but will start with the steering to the left. pulling my hair out.

Thanks

Do a search here and you will find lots of info. In a nutshell the early bikes had a problem with the ignition switch burning out because too much power was routed through it. The answer is to fix the switch and install relays for the the headlights to bypass the switch. Chances are the white wire to the switch has overheated and become unsoldered. It is possible to disassemble the switch and repair it which saves money and you keep the original key.

I had same issue with my 05 and did the resolder repair. It is an effort removing the switch, I relocated mine to the left side and installed the relay kit. All depends upon your skill or comfort level. Have fun.

13882248_10153767921263263_5137267255297240318_n.jpg

Back