Empty oil tank?

RADEMIS

Supercharged
Hi guys,
I have a problem with my bike and have had it into two different triumph service centers on four different ocassions. the problem is that the oil tank drains empty after just a few hours after shutting of the bike. I first noticed this early on in owning the bike, that when i would go to check the oil there would be none on the dipstick, there was no evidence of ank oil leaks anywhere. and it does not burn any (no excessive smoke out the pipes).
At first i suspected that maybe someone drained it on me as a sabotage prank, so i went and bought oil and filled to the proper level on the dipstick. then when i started the engine the tank almost overflowed within about 2 minutes.
Question: do any of you have the same thing going on? By the way, its the 2005 model that i bought in oct of 04. Thanks for any input that you may have.
the dealership service center says that this is normal.....??

Dip Stick Etiquette

I'm not sure if this will help but they told me the day I bought mine in April '05 that because of the deep oil pan that you have to start the bike and let it run before checking. I asked if they meant running just long enough to bring the oil up into the dip-stick area and the response was, " I let it run for a few minutes......then turn it off and immediately check the oil level. I hope that's all it is as I haven't heard anyone else mention the problem. Let me know what you find out.

Hey RADEMIS!!

The Rocket III runs on what is called a dry sump oil system. It actually has two oil pumps, the higher speed one returns oil to the oil tank while the bike is running. Therefore, while the bike is running, most of the oil is in the oil tank. That is why they tell you to run the bike for several minutes before checking the oil. When the bike is shut off, the only thing holding the oil in the oil tank are the impellers in the oil pump, and these are not a perfect fit in the oil pump body so oil seeps past them. In a short period of time the oil will drain into the crankcase until you start the bike and the pump returns it to the oil tank.

Therefore the dealers you took it to were correct. Do not check the oil after the bike has not run for several hours, but instead start it up and let it run for several minutes. You have no problem ( well, other than the fact you haven't read the owners manual :D). I'm just kidding... put the gun down..:eek:

Tomo

Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:10 pm Post subject: Oil Level I feel your pain. After my initial posting(another site) and talking with the dealer (who knows nothing about subject), I siphoned, put oil back in, siphoned, put oil back in... and this is my finding. The only way that I have gotten a consistent reading is to check oil per manual. Start engine, run 1 minute, pull out dipstick, check oil. dipstick markings are with bike straight up. When I have checked after riding for a while and even letting it set, oil is always way up on the stick appearing overfull. Checking oil as mentioned above, per manual, I have gotten 2 CONSISTENT readings at top line of dipstick (full). Let me know if this works for you.

I am starting to get the feeling that dealership training by Triumph isn't exactly the best. The consistancy of knowledge is all over the board... isn't it? I'm sure the dealers just hate websites like this... we know more that some of these people... just because we talk and compare notes. Plus... its hard for a small dealership to really focus on one model, they may have several models and possibly multiple lines to deal with. Its a little scary that some don't know how to check the oil, how do they do oil changes? I would think that would be a basic thing..

I work for a new car manufacturer and we have several avenues for training. One of the biggest tools we have is a WIKI style resouce. I don't want to say its a website... it really is its own little "internet" and it is not online. Just for starters... it contains all the ESM's, a tech line, multiple trouble shooting functions, all recall info, all TSB's, all download info (to reprogram ECM's, BCM's, TCM's, NATS functions, CAN system protocall, ect). It has training modules.. updates for all of our scanners, tech tips submitted by techs all over the world, installation manuals for accessories and gizmos like IPod interfacing and Sat radio... and we still have to go to school on a regular basis:D. I dare say my continuing education is more advanced than a Doctor's, technology changes so quickly and so often that what you knew yesterday won't fix anything tommorrow. Right now there is a concern about who is going to take on the Hybrid vehicles in our little shop. Every once in awhile they eyeball me but then they figure I might just up and retire on them:D. They better hurry up, I've heard that our best selling car will be a hybrid and Its coming out soon...

Right now there is a concern about who is going to take on the Hybrid vehicles in our little shop

To work on the hybrid Ford Escape, you are s'posed to set out caution cones around your stall and there is a rescue pole for draggin' your carcass away after you get fried by the high voltage!:eek:

[I opted out of that one. ]

. I dare say my continuing education is more advanced than a Doctor's,

The medical field can seem to be very slow to adapt to anything new. At least the human body is still basically the same model that the creator released low those many years ago!

False alarm. Oil settles in the sump. Same on Honda Valky's and other dry sump bikes. Just IGNORE the dipstick, as I have for the last 12'000 miles. Routinely add a quart or a bit less, say every 3'000 miles or so, and everything is gonna be honky-dory. Best:cool:

mine dosent drain at all.on some other bikes harleys i know for sure there is some kind of check valve on like the harley it is a spring loaded ball bearing lookin thing.the old sportsters use to blow all the oil out the breather when they sat for a while.you might want to get an other mechanic to check it out.most havent realy worked on that many rockets. i know nothing about the rocket oil pump but you might want to find the crankcase breather and keep an eye on it.

Toystoretom said:
Hey RADEMIS!!

The Rocket III runs on what is called a dry sump oil system. It actually has two oil pumps, the higher speed one returns oil to the oil tank while the bike is running. Therefore, while the bike is running, most of the oil is in the oil tank. That is why they tell you to run the bike for several minutes before checking the oil. When the bike is shut off, the only thing holding the oil in the oil tank are the impellers in the oil pump, and these are not a perfect fit in the oil pump body so oil seeps past them. In a short period of time the oil will drain into the crankcase until you start the bike and the pump returns it to the oil tank.

Therefore the dealers you took it to were correct. Do not check the oil after the bike has not run for several hours, but instead start it up and let it run for several minutes. You have no problem ( well, other than the fact you haven't read the owners manual :D). I'm just kidding... put the gun down..:eek:

Tomo

Tom:
I was going to reply to this a while ago, but somehow I lost the thread (duh).:confused:

According to the shop manual there is a catridge type check valve in the line that leads to the external oil tank that keeps the oil in the tank when the engine isn't running. I'd say if the oil is draining out of the tank, the check valve is faulty.

Back