Electrical Gremlins Part 4

Son_Of_Dog

Unfailing Millennial
Ride
08 Rocket III Touring
I have a new issue that I'm trying to get solved before the big RAA West trip. I think I've seen this happen with @nolton 's bike, and maybe someone will remember what the fix was.

What's happening is when I have the ignition on and the killswitch off, (bike ready to start) the bike just makes a little "click" noise when I press the ignition button. I can keep pressing it pretty quick and nothing happens until the bike starts, with seemingly nothing changing. Bike runs strong with no issues otherwise.

My first inclination is that it may be the gear position sensor, as I have felt like releasing and re-engaging the clutch and moving the bike back and forth a little sometimes fixes the issue, but I can't be sure. Sometimes it seems like nothing is changing when goes ahead and starts. Checked battery voltage per Occam's razor, it appears fine.

Any help is appreciated.

I talked to Nolton last week. He said sometimes if he pushed the starter button at an angle it would work, so he figured it was the handlebar switch had some corrosion inside.

I guess he's still having the issue then. Is my description of the problem the same as what's going on with him?

He hasn't taken the time to work on it. I don't remember him even getting the click when he hit the starter.

I was reading his thread "Starting problem" just now and I think I've got some direction on things to check. I'll try pushing the button at an angle to see if that gives me any reliable change in performance as well. I'd be curious to see what all goes into adding a separate ground wire and relay to the starter, as is stated in Nolton's thread. I'm sure I'm not following on where exactly that wire should be running to.

Maybe @TURBO200R4 or @DEcosse might have an idea.

Turbo weighed in on Nolton's thread, so I'm gonna chase that out still. Like I mentioned though, I'm not sure it's the same issue. Something about my bike that I'm not sure is the norm is that I've never been able to start the bike without the clutch pulled, even when it's in neutral. I'm told that's not typical by some roommates that also ride, but have an inclination toward japanese bikes from the 80's

a place to start is turn everything on ready to start clutch in press starter button in.
if it does not start then hold starter button in and start working the clutch (let out slow to half way then back in )i did this to mine to find it was a dirty clutch switch
sprayed with wd40 still works good.
if this does not work do the same clutch in press the starter button a bunch of times.
hth herman

I've never been able to start the bike without the clutch pulled, even when it's in neutral.
That is standard with pretty much every modern Triumph of the last 20+ years
You MUST pull the clutch, even in Neutral.

It sounds potentially like clutch switch issue to me

One useful clue:
Do the headlights go off if you actually hold in the starter button (even though the starter fails to run)?

That is standard with pretty much every modern Triumph of the last 20+ years
You MUST pull the clutch, even in Neutral.

It sounds potentially like clutch switch issue to me

One useful clue:
Do the headlights go off if you actually hold in the starter button (even though the starter fails to run)?

They dim a little when the button is pushed. Wouldn't say they go out. The behavior is as it has been in the past (regarding what the headlights do)

Back