Electrical Gremlins Part 4

They dim a little when the button is pushed. Wouldn't say they go out. The behavior is as it has been in the past (regarding what the headlights do)
From the back they may just seem to dim. What you need to see is if the main lights go out, the marker lights will stay on, at least on the 2 headlight models not sure if the Touring has the little light too.

From the back they may just seem to dim. What you need to see is if the main lights go out, the marker lights will stay on, at least on the 2 headlight models not sure if the Touring has the little light too.

I think that light may be stowed away inside the bucket on my bike, because of the aftermarket headlight. I can check.

It shouldn't 'dim' - either on or off

Are you referring to the headlight or the position light, which is what the manual calls the smaller light in the fixture?

The LED headlight I use is here: https://www.amazon.com/OVOTOR-Headlights-Signal-Lights-Wrangler/dp/B07F1PN3XK

I just plugged it into the plug that the old headlight plugged into. The position light is cut out, and the wires now power the "halo" led within the aftermarket headlight.
The headlight turns off when the button is pressed, and the "halo" led that is powered by the wires that once powered the position light flickers as the engine turns over, presumably due to a voltage drop from the starter. When I went out to test all these things at lunch, the bike started every time I pressed the button and I didn't experience the click at all.

the headlight
The point of 'cutting headlight(s)' during starting is to reduce the load on the battery - would not be much saving with the position light :D

I have managed to replicate the issue, but not by my own choice. Only because I decided it was time to go home from work did it stop working. The headlight cuts off when the clutch is pulled and the button is pressed, and I get a little click, not the "pat" noise that it makes when it tries to start. I cleaned the clutch switch and the ignition button thoroughly and applied dielectric grease to them. What should my next steps be?

That narrows it down a bit when it clicks and the head lights go out that tell me that all the safety's have been met and the relay is applying.
so i would say replace the relay and if it still does not work then go after the starter solenoid.
if u have not done the starter upgrade then now might be a good time.

That narrows it down a bit when it clicks and the head lights go out that tell me that all the safety's have been met and the relay is applying.
so i would say replace the relay and if it still does not work then go after the starter solenoid.
if u have not done the starter upgrade then now might be a good time.

Here's the original, which I replaced during one of the previous gremlin chases, next to the one that I had in the bike after the replacement. The hella is the original. Just sanity checking myself here, I'm pretty sure these are exactly the same.
15977960628823443333269324236138.jpg 15977960901607946081264056252561.jpg

How should I go about checking the starter solenoid?

I had the same problem with my R3T, cleaned the starter switch, fitted the solenoid kit, replaced the negative battery cable etc all to no avail. Finally cleaned and crimped the wire connections that the relay plugs into... fixed the click and starts first time ever since.

Back