Electrical Gremlins Part 4

I had the same problem with my R3T, cleaned the starter switch, fitted the solenoid kit, replaced the negative battery cable etc all to no avail. Finally cleaned and crimped the wire connections that the relay plugs into... fixed the click and starts first time ever since.

Okay, I can clean those

the relay on the right with the tab does not show to have a diode and should only be used for checking purpose.
i would say to get a new relay with diode and see if that cures the problem.
if u have the new relay install and u still have problems there r a couple ways of checking
1 u can (in neutral clutch lever pulled in) run a jumper wire from pos bat to solenoid connector . this will bypass everything. and motor will crank even if ign is off

Last edited:
t1, Take apart that starter and you’ll probably see the problem, the rebuild kit off ebay has the parts to repair, 100 toyota starter and put your gear on new starter, this fixed mine. The brass pieces in my solenoid were toast. 2008

What @TURBO200R4 said that if headlight goes out, then relay is switching
=> problem with solenoid

Is the solenoid integral to the starter? Or are they separate parts that I need to investigate? If it's integral, does this appear to be the correct part?

I looked at the thread for replacing the starter with the Toyota one, and while I'd enjoy having the 1.8 kW starter from the Tundra, I don't have a machine shop to make it fit.

Back