Dropping out of 1st into neutral.

Tom I think the popping out is a result of not getting it completely into first in the first place. With my bike, especially when new, taking some of the tension off of the drivetrain allowed it to slip into first easier. Otherwise it will lightly click like and make you think it's going into first and the neutral light will go off out but when you take off it it slips out.

My Rocket was purchased used with around 5000 miles and don't recall it ever popping out of gear. The trick is in making sure you fully engage first gear(insert practice makes perfect here). If after sufficient "break in" miles and before warranty expires problem still exists it's time for Mr. Dealership to take a look.

A few 70's era Japanese motorbikes have passed thru my hands over the last few years with this same problem. One in particular, a XL125 Honda always did it and probably had worn shift mechanics. I sold it "as is" so I don't know what the actual cause was.

1st

Tom may be right in that if it pops out that is not a good thing. Pig9r may be right in it not engaging all the way. I have had it pop out maybe 3 times in a year when it was new. Lately I will start in neutral and pump it hard into 1st and let the clutch out and nothing.Then I pull the clutch, release slow and push the shifter at the same time and hear and feel the gearbox move and then shift into 1st. It's like it's in a never never land sometimes.Now Flip has another terminology for this ...:rolleyes:

I think Sidecar Flip said it best about floating the clutch.

You might think you messed up something after hearing that loud thunk, but you didn't. It's not a problem for me hearing the thunk because I never ride with headphones. Even so though, you can feel it when it locks into first.

Just--

shift it firmly into gear immediately after engaging the clutch, so the gears are still turning slightly and will sync up. Should hear a satisfying clunk--no clunk=problem. That said, there's no need to stomp on it, just shift quick and firm.

Yep, what they say. ... Feathering the clutch has been my preferred method.

Yep, this is the ticket. This is what my dealer told me to do when I bought the bike. Pull in the clutch once or twice before engaging 1st. You don't have to stomp on it.

Never had it jump out of gear when moving. I have had it jump out of first (very rarely) when I haven't pushed down hard enough...and then it jumps out when I start letting the clutch out. Again, only rarely. And only when I haven't really engaged it. Beemer I had used to do the same thing. But peg position made it easier to stomp it...

gearbox failure

Guys,

What you are describing is a major, major problem with the R3. Ok mines an 08 purchase but made earlier, I got to 6000 klicks only and yep same symptoms, kicks out of 1st gear, then it kicks out of 2nd gear, all at the wrong time.

Nothing you have suggested will fix the problem, shuffling feet, doing banana skins transplants in the box instead of oil, hoping it will go away. IT WON"T

THE PROBLEM:

Triumph have a "KIT", you need to take your sick puppy back to where you got it and say hey guys, MY REAR OUTPUT SHAFT BEARING HAS FAILED. Yep this is the problem, the cage the bearing is in breaks up and puts metal in the oil, the same oil that feeds through your motor by the way. They say they have "the fix" but this is serious enough for me to say, thats it I'm going back to Banshee bashers.

Your repair bill will run to thousands unless you kick up a stink with the Triumph dealer, they are very sheepish (this is not a sheep joke) My home town is Adelaide South Australia. Triumph here know all about it, 1 in 3 are going but that figure is climbing daily.

Baggage:

I do. It's the truck driver in me. I'm supposed to refrain from mentioning any truck related stuff on this site because if I do, I'm threatened with expulsion so I'll just call it descriptive nomenclature.
:eek:What the hell is that about:eek: is this distilling down a dissenting voice?

shift it firmly into gear immediately after engaging the clutch, so the gears are still turning slightly and will sync up. Should hear a satisfying clunk--no clunk=problem. That said, there's no need to stomp on it, just shift quick and firm.
possitively

Yep, this is the ticket. This is what my dealer told me to do when I bought the bike. Pull in the clutch once or twice before engaging 1st. You don't have to stomp on it.
absolutely

You pull up to a spot that you roll back into; when set where you want to be with the darksider up again the curb for a fast get away, pulll forward and clutch the beast into neutral. Then settle back and shut her down in two fluid motions. There is that slight spin somewhere, needed for smooth gear shifting. You can find it in a very short while. Though weekends in good weather riding, 3 months out of the year, isn't likely to get a feel for it any time soon.:D

There is tremendous muscle that can be brought out of the Rocket III with lots of overhead. However, the Rocket III is not a crouch rocket. If you wish to abuse the Fat Bottom Girl in that manner, expect it to last as long as a cheap import plastic surround.

I think there's a place for crouch rocket riders; serving as gene pool cleansing:D

A local Captain, a King Air 350 Captain, is also a Triumph Rocket III Captain as well. I hope he joins in soon. B had this to say about the power of the beast: Why add anything onto the bike when it has so much power. I find that remarkable.

Last edited:
Back