That little connector on the negative battery cable is part of the alarm system. It must be plugged in or no joy.

Check the engine connection of the negative battery cable.

Pull and clean the crank angle sensor.
good point bud I would unplug the alarm and put the harness bypass back in it just to totally eliminate the alarm system until you locate the fault.

Folks, if I may take a moment to entertain you.

Spring, well sort of comes around. The exciting moment of taking out the batteries stored inside while trickling all winter comes. The rocket gets the install and no smile, just a click.

Background:

At the end of the 2014 season, I put treated gas into the tank and had it run for a good ten minutes. I do that with all my bikes. The battery which was purchased a month ago (Odyssey AGM) was pulled out, on the Flips Paddock stand and went to sleep. The 2014 riding season was flawless, no complaints.

This week:

Battery goes in, nice and bright lights, hear the pump going and push the button, "click". I have read the forums, also on the .com as well. I will try to make this as easy as possible (second glass of rye).

The Bike:

2010 R3T
Second owner
12,343 Miles
As soon as I received the bike from a dealer, understanding the ignition problems of this marque, I went ahead and got the EB Headlight kit
Purchased LED lights driving lights (previous post)
Has installed by previous owner a Scorpio alarm 8500 I think?
Ram Air
Power Commander 5
Custom Map from Z1 Cycle in Toronto

Actions so far:

I have checked the fuses, all good.
I have replaced the starter relay, no change. Had extras that I knew were good
Battery is basically a couple of months old. I even used jumper cables from my Toyota Highlander with a new battery, no change
I pulled apart the starter switch, minimal residue. I had some Emery cloth, some WD40 and compressed air. All clean and put back together.
I inspected the ignition switch by having the switch "on" and moving the harness underneath as well as moving the handlebars left and right. No change, no blinking of lights, no blips of any kind.
I pulled the starter, took apart the rear cover as mentioned from Warp, there was very mild arching on the tabs. I again Emery Cloth and blew out the residue.

When I push the start button the lights turn off for a second then come on again. I hear the solenoid engaging no dice. I do this with the kickstand down, up, in neutral, in gear, clutch in. No change.

I got to thinking that maybe its Hydrolocked??

I put it into gear, cannot push it, not even a bit. I understand it is a large bike. I tried to pull the plugs to use my handy dandy automotive snake camera, to which the socket I have to pull the plugs, is to big. It doesn't even fit in the hole (13/16 socket).

This is when I decided to wash my hands, have a drink and type away from frustration. To my benefit, riding is still a bit away, still a lot a sand and grit on the roads.

This has gotten me stumped. While the bike is apart, I got 4 Gauge wire to beef up the ground side, and will be doing the starter relay mod.

Gentlemen, have I missed something here. Everything on the bike is clean, tight and tidy. Regarding the thought of it being Hydrolocked is a stretch, no evidence of head gasket problems nor fluid in the oil.

Please advise on the wisdom of the membership, as for I have none.

Thanks for your time.

PS, the reason I like the old bikes, put in battery, tickled the carbs, kicked down twice to prime the system, ignition on, first kick and the song of the parallel twins comes to life.

THE best info ever given :)
in your case a volt meter would help. its the best tool for your prob.
if you hold the starter sol and push the button to see if it is whats clicking. then do the same with with the starter relay, then tell us witch one (or both) is clicking.
like was said try rocking in 4th or 5th

Yes I agree with other, need to check voltage under power. Could have a bad battery, and make sure all grounds are clean and tight.

cc I was having trouble getting my 09 touring to start, pushed the go button head light goes out like its suppose to. I hear a clicking sound like a relay , then the dreaded silence. batt. was on a charger. the clicking sound was the start relay on the right hand side of bike, it turned out the normally opened contact was carbon burnt, cleaned the contacts hit the go button and I got a big smile, she came to life.

Reviving an old thread. Having the Click Click Blues. Almost got stranded. When the bike gets hot it Clicks Clicks when pushing the start button. Cools off 15 mins and starts. You go figure.

Does the R3 have a starter relay and starter solenoid. Is there a picture somewhere so I can check them for good connections. Bike need a new battery too.

Any extra pearls while working this issue out?

Thank you!

New battery went in. Working OK so far. Batt has been weak for a while. Now with full Cranking Amps doing much better.
should upgrade your negative cable from the battery to the starter - Makes a huge difference.
I am going to start making these cables up as plug and play so let me know if interested.

Back