Do you want better headlights ?

Rocket Scientist

Grand Exulted Poobah
Ride
Black 05' Rocket III standard
I'm going to start this thread again in tech talk. I think more people will see it here. It was originally in "custom mods" which in my mind is more for bling. Anyway emwold started the original thread. Most Rocket riders would agree the headlights aren't that great. Installing an eastern beaver relay set-up makes them much brighter.

before eastern beaver

after eastern beaver

OK, now they are brighter but don't really put the light where you need it. That is because D.O.T. requires a certain headlight pattern, with a lot of the light going up to illuminate overhead signs. Emwold discovered "E-code" headlight bulb reflectors. They are made to European standards and put a lot more of the light where you need it.

D.O.T. low beam. Nice bright spot in front of the bike. Unfortunately it's only about 8 feet out. If you tip the lights up any further, then the high beams are shining the tree tops.

E-code low beam. Ah, much better !

D.O.T. high beam. Not to bad really.

E-code high beam. Better. It's hard to see in these pictures cause my camera didn't like the 28 deg. F weather. If you look down the road you can see the trees on both sides. Much better to pick up deer eyes !

E-codes can be found at;

This number gets you the light reflectors without the little British parking lights. There is a different number that retains the parking lights. I had no use for them. I think they disturb the light pattern right in front of the bike where you really would like to see chuck holes, or car (or Harley) parts etc. I completely removed the parking light sockets, as I found with no bulb in them it becomes very easy for the contacts inside to touch each other and cause a short.

OK, enough said. I'm getting typers cramp !

That's a much better price than adding on the Paia's! Did you just put your dot bulbs in the new cans?

When I first bought the bike it had ebay special $13.00 fake HID bulbs in it. I figured the lame lights were probably due to lame bulbs so I bought the Piaa's. Barley changed the light output. Then I discovered the eastern beaver set-up that address's the real problem, not enough current making it to the lights. All the photos in the posting are taken with the Piaa bulbs. Your results may vary ;).

are the lenses as pictured in the link? or are they clear like the stockers? would you mind posting a picture of your setup with the headlights off?

thanks,
Steve

Back