DIY Tire Change (again)

Well, being one of those guys at the back of the pack, but still in the pack, of those pursuing the most toys when they die, I went ahead and ordered the MAX2H - silly me.

Well, being one of those guys at the back of the pack, but still in the pack, of those pursuing the most toys when they die, I went ahead and ordered the MAX2H - silly me.

Paul- you're my hero. Let me know how it works out. I think you'll have to fix it to the floor or, better, higher, but if it works we'll all be following in your footsteps. Please keep us posted and thanks!

This is my go-to how-to video from the Motorcyclist Magazine:

I replaced both my front and rear last fall and got it down to 45 min per tire, because I was taking my time. I am on a 2013 Rocket Touring and had no issues. The key was heating up the tires with a heat blow dryer to soften the rubber and making sure to lubricate the beads with soapy water. The Motion Pro Bead Pro Tire Irons were amazing and I got all the tools from Amazon.

Sorry, I must be misunderstanding as I see zero point in the Max2H other than a kind of ok bead breaker. You still end up wrestling the tire on, plus you have to hold onto the tire machine itself and use a tool that works no better than tire irons to put on and remove the tire? IMO that large duck head means it's taking a bigger bite than necessary which makes the job more difficult. Maybe my allergies are making me extra stupid today and I'm missing something.

When I decided to get all fancy shmancy in retirement and get the tire changing operation off the garage floor I bought a NoMar CH200 tire stand and bolted it to a chunk of plywood with locking casters on it. Not cheap, but I've done 15 tire changes so far, and it holds the wheel, has a good bead breaker, quality tools, and what is IMO the best lube available. I haven't changed a Rocket rear yet (next week probably) but I have changed a low profile 300/18 off a friend's custom VTX. You can really pull on NoMar's heavy tire irons that were included just for that purpose.
I've also successfully used it to break the bead and remove ancient tires off car rims.
I also use and like their wheel balancer.
The cutting the bead trick mentioned above really does help, it's what I've done in the past when changing the rear tires by hand on the garage floor. We'll see if it's necessary with the NoMar.
All the usual tricks apply too, leave the tire in the sun for a while, use plenty of lube, take your time, use rim protectors, etc..
Ain't Motion Pro Irons great?
Good luck.

This is my go-to how-to video from the Motorcyclist Magazine:

I replaced both my front and rear last fall and got it down to 45 min per tire, because I was taking my time. I am on a 2013 Rocket Touring and had no issues. The key was heating up the tires with a heat blow dryer to soften the rubber and making sure to lubricate the beads with soapy water. The Motion Pro Bead Pro Tire Irons were amazing and I got all the tools from Amazon.

I've got those tire irons. They're the best I've come across, but my technique must not be any match for yours. I'm hoping that sliding the tire around and then on (NoMar, Mojo Bar, Max2h..... ) will be easier than levering it on those last few steps.

I will try the blow dryer and have ordered mounting paste to try instead of soapy water. Also, some Cajun bolt cutters (@Steel) :thumbsup: for the rear. My next change is the front, so I'll give it another go with the Motion Pro irons and then wait to hear what Paul thinks of the Max2H.

Long gone now, but when I was young, and had a tour of the Anniston Army Depot, where in World War II army armor was overhauled, there were interesting tools on the wall. A thoughtful guide related how the plant workforce was almost entirely women. The tanks, having been designed in a different era, with assumptions about different body strength, had fasteners that needed large tools. What the women did to manage, was learn how to cooperate when needed, and ask for extensions for the tools to be able to apply greater leverage. Even though the women had all been sent home, the tools were still there as a reminder of a great, and successful effort.

When I do my own wrenching, I'm reminded of the childhood exposure, and find myself from time to time, applying those lessons to my own situations. Most recently, with the Becker stand, I purchased the longest extension in the Snap On catalog, and it cost me a pretty penny. Yet, where I am unable to lift the bike over the "hump" with the short extension supplied with the lift, I am able to relatively easily do so with the long extension.

Perhaps this might give one insight into how several people have "how to" video, and experience saying, "This is easy"; while another might yet choose an alternate approach..

I am amazed the first two guys did not break bones or otherwise injure themselves, (this may be the reason I do not video myself working with these types of tools).

That tire changer most definitely needs to be secured for better leverage.

Ari's demo from the MC Garage is probably the way i would do it. But with just a foot pump for air, I do not think it will be easy to reseat the beads...

Back