What I have used for years to break the beads on tires is a Hi-Lift utility jack.

15576728599917087941643571332945.jpg

Put a piece plywood on the ground under the reciever hitch on the truck. Put the edge of the shoe plate on the bead and the lifting hook under the hitch. Give a couple of strokes on the jack and the shoe plate breaks the bead.

An old time bumper jack would work if you happen to have one laying around too.

Good info for sure. I have the machine in the first video, and have been planing on bending the grabber things, but I don't have a torch. I'll get-er-done though. The vinyl tubing idea is great. Also the pice of tube to hold a pin, to stop the wheel from turning. I've used ratchet straps in the past, but takes time to hook up and ratchet down. I just ordered one of the end pieces for the bar. I have mine mounted on the car tire machine, and securely mounted to the concrete floor. The center drop down bar that comes with the machine is way to big to fit through the wheel bearings. I'll need to come up with an idea for that, otherwise, you're going to damage the seal. I've found the old plain yellow Go-Jo works great as a lube, and easily washes off.;)

$20 is super reasonable. I think I'd just bring it to them. Wish Rocky Mountain were here- they're already getting my money from tires. Having said that, I'd like to hear how it goes.

I bought the HF balancer, but the axle was bent (a common complaint). It just needs to be off a fraction to throw your balance off. Before adding weights, mark you low spot, rotate the cones, then see if the low spot moves. It shouldn't.

I hear you. I'd get a different balancer for sure. My axel was just a bit off. I bought a 1/2" steel bar from Home Depot and will cut a piece off and hopefully it will be true. I also replaced the bearings as some were frozen. Not worth the price savings.

@warp9.9 I have the Motion Pro Bead Braker (long version) and it does a great job breaking the bead while also serving as tire tools....

Glad to hear this!! I bought it in the same order with the tire, and some rim of their guards.
I really don't want to start the project!!! Yikes.

I changed my own tires last time around. It seems you have more experience than I on the topic. One thing I found helpful from a YouTube video was while using spoons. When the spoons are at 3 and 6 put your knees on the tire and walk the bead on. I hope that makes sense.

I still like the rim clamp machine idea. Just recently this cold winter I decided running the snow blower is just not the same now. So my easy answer was to purches the hulk

56268569_2455499861136654_3131348874694754304_o.jpg

As you can see its a lot easier then a snow blower. Although more exspensive :D

Journeyman if you use one of these style tire changers wrap a tie down strap around one of spokes and onto the machine to stop the rim from spinning.

I think shops get in trouble when the wheel slips out of their grippers, then as the machine proceeds to turn the wrong part of the gripper grinds its way around the rim. I think doing this without a mechanical assist would cut down on that (better sense of feel)
and tying down the rim, as you suggested is a great idea- thanks!

Update to this post. Here's how to dismount and mount your own tires (not just remove the wheels).

Back