Maybe this guy is onto something?

This video seems to suggest that the HF tire changing table with a proper tire changing bar would be doable and less expensive than the No-Mar or Cycle Hill tire changers. I don’t have the ability to weld, so I would have to investigate whether another company’s means of gripping the wheel could be fitted to the HF tire changing table.

Any thoughts?

This video seems to suggest that the HF tire changing table with a proper tire changing bar would be doable and less expensive than the No-Mar or Cycle Hill tire changers. I don’t have the ability to weld, so I would have to investigate whether another company’s means of gripping the wheel could be fitted to the HF tire changing table.

Any thoughts?

I can't weld either and actively looking for solutions. Here's an improvement on the HF's existing gripping blocks....

The "duck head" the guy talks about in the first video. Looks like it mounts to pipe (no welding)

This looks better than the HF rig (using the duck head tool rather than the one included here)....
4" To 16.5" Multi Tire Changer For Motorcycle GoCart Trailer Bike ATV Truck US | eBay

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Am a welder (Tig) and fabricator. Unlike some folks on here that have detailed instructions on how to machine a part we invent the wheel as we carry on. :whitstling::whitstling::whitstling::whitstling::whitstling:Kind of figure it can be done. :sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky:

Well, I have the tire (Exedra Max) and bought some new irons/bead breaker and a Harbor Freight Balancer, got weights, the moly grease and Ride on.
It will be sunny and I have a day off on wednesday, so I think I'll do it then. Might regret it but... If I get in a real jam I'll take it over to Rocky Mountain ATV/MC where I got the tire. They used to mount them for about $20 off the bike. Might cost more now, if they still do that.
There was a video on Youtube showing the touring stuff like removing the rear wheel, etc. So that helped. And paying $80 to get my Kawasaki tire fixed (slow leak) at a local shop was quite the incentive to do my own, too.

Well, I have the tire (Exedra Max) and bought some new irons/bead breaker and a Harbor Freight Balancer, got weights, the moly grease and Ride on.
It will be sunny and I have a day off on wednesday, so I think I'll do it then. Might regret it but... If I get in a real jam I'll take it over to Rocky Mountain ATV/MC where I got the tire. They used to mount them for about $20 off the bike. Might cost more now, if they still do that.
There was a video on Youtube showing the touring stuff like removing the rear wheel, etc. So that helped. And paying $80 to get my Kawasaki tire fixed (slow leak) at a local shop was quite the incentive to do my own, too.

$20 is super reasonable. I think I'd just bring it to them. Wish Rocky Mountain were here- they're already getting my money from tires. Having said that, I'd like to hear how it goes.

I bought the HF balancer, but the axle was bent (a common complaint). It just needs to be off a fraction to throw your balance off. Before adding weights, mark you low spot, rotate the cones, then see if the low spot moves. It shouldn't.

I pay 10 bucks, but I stop by have them break the beads. Run home cutt the side wall on both sides with a drywall knife. Cut the bead with a bolt cutter. And take it back to them for the install. Getting tired of it, so I might replace my old coates time machine with a used rim clamp machine.

I pay 10 bucks, but I stop by have them break the beads. Run home cutt the side wall on both sides with a drywall knife. Cut the bead with a bolt cutter. And take it back to them for the install. Getting tired of it, so I might replace my old coates time machine with a used rim clamp machine.

@warp9.9 I have the Motion Pro Bead Braker (long version) and it does a great job breaking the bead while also serving as tire tools....

With all due respect, the first thing that I would do is switch brand of tire. 3-4000 miles per tire is pretty poor tire life. I’m sure you could do better with the new Avon or Michelin Commanders.
I did my fist tire removal and change over the winter. I got 7000 miles out of the stock Metzelers.
I removed and installed the wheels, and a local custom shop did the tire change for $120.
I bought the jack be quick and I printed out the necessary pages from the online service manual, and all went smoothly. I also serviced the splines and did the gear oil change.
Good luck to you.

Your advice is respectfully accepted. A brand change might be in order, but tons of riders are using the Exedra Max and getting higher mileage. Looks like the Commanders are too narrow. The Chromes are $115 more than the Exedra and would need to last nearly twice as long to make a difference, cost wise.

I have to believe it has to do with the way I like to ride- twisty back roads here. I can't change tire prices, but I do have some control over tire mounting costs. Your method/cost is nearly identical to mine. Doing that three times/year (four if I do a tour) is adding up. The straw that breaks my back is having had rim damage twice in recent months- two different shops, two different bikes. Another member just experienced this. If you think about it, rim damage is probably the only disclaimer you're likely to see posted in a shop. I have had good luck with one particular shop, so far, and, apparently, so have you- so good luck to us both in the future, cause if a mistake happens they'll be pointing up to that sign.

I do all my own maintenance and repairs from valve shims to wheel bearings, forks, brakes, etc. When it comes time for new pistons, or something deeper than clutch work, I'll gladly take her to Carpenter for an upgrade, but having to rely on a shop to change the rear tire (can't balance) is getting expensive, a hassle, with risk of damage thrown in.

I'm about ready to order this stand as it looks more stout than the HF model and the "grippers" seem better designed. Add a duck head tool and just wondering if that might do the trick.

I've seen posts where other members do their own rear tire change. I'd really like to hear from them. There are a lot of smart people here with lots more experience wrenching than I do. I think there's an affordable solution if we just put our heads together.

Back