Journeyman

"And this one is just right" ~ Goldilocks
Ride
2020 3R
Who does it and tell us how. This topic has been touched on in the past, but I'm not sure it's been fully explored. Just in the last week I'm reading about @sonny getting his rim manked (it's happened to me twice this year) at a shop and talk of a rear tire change demo at the Maggie Valley gathering. Seems this might be a topic of interest.

The one place that hasn't damaged my rims, yet, charges over $50 to mount and balance a tire (I bring in the wheel) - problem is, they can't balance the rear, too big, so I still have to do that myself (I use the Marc Parnes system).

I've read where some take the wheel to a car tire place, but I've yet to find one where I live that will touch it.

I can accept the cost of the tires (no choice), but adding the mounting fee three times/year (just for the rear) is adding up and then there's the risk of damage at a shop ("oh, sorry, dude").

I'm running the Exedra Max and get 3 to 4,000 miles on a tire. The tire wears evenly all the way across and, yes, I keep it aired up properly. I am fortunate to live in "the land of twisties," and ride somewhat spirited, but not extreme by any means. There are scores of others on this forum that would leave me in the dust. I've accepted that the differences we see in tire life between members is a big mystery, so I'm more interested for now in just learning how to cut my costs on these frequent rubber changes.

I can change the front. It takes me way longer than it should. Once, I attempted the rear. I ended up cutting it off after getting it 98% free and, sweaty and exhausted, threw in the towel by taking it to the shop to have them mount the new tire- f#&ka me.

So, I've heard of a few out there who say they mount the rear all by their lonesome. Tell us, how do you do it and what specific tools are you using? Inquiring minds really want to know...

Take a look at NoMar Tire Changers web site. They have a number of videos that should help you out. Pay close attention to the subtle techniques they use. On big tires I use one of their changers to hold the rim and large irons to remove and install the tire. Patience, tire lube, and warmers are you best friends.

Oh yeah, I forgot, it's a pain in the rear no matter what you do.

Tyre changing demo at MV --good luck with that one
#1 we leave early and arrive back late -we are there to ride
#2 as soon as we get back the alcohol starts flowing freely , I would not trust half of the numbties sober far less half pissed.
I have changed and checked quite a few brake pads at MV and other RAA meets but a tyre demo :banghead:

Tyre changing demo at MV --good luck with that one
#1 we leave early and arrive back late -we are there to ride
#2 as soon as we get back the alcohol starts flowing freely , I would not trust half of the numbties sober far less half pissed.
I have changed and checked quite a few brake pads at MV and other RAA meets but a tyre demo :banghead:

Yeah, my mistake- seems the talk of a tire change demo was actually a "how to remove the wheel"- but fully got that. I'll be there to ride too, but open to sitting back and watching whatever kind of demos (hopefully, not involving goats ;-) might transpire afterwards, once the juices flow.

Yeah, my mistake- seems the talk of a tire change demo was actually a "how to remove the wheel"- but fully got that. I'll be there to ride too, but open to sitting back and watching whatever kind of demos (hopefully, not involving goats ;-) might transpire afterwards, once the juices flow.
if yi r prejidice agnst goats we dont be needed yir kind at MV :D Once the juices flow and if someone volunteers a bike (not mine) I am quite sure it can be taken apart as for putting it back together that will be another story.

Been thinking about it and just maybe a good tire machine with the right attitude on busting tires and balancing could make a little pocket change. Plan on getting a good size garage built on the place. Been kicking the idea around on working on Harley's. Pretty good with them but still learning about the Rocket. I will be 61 this month and am getting a little rough around the edges at times working 12 hour shifts six days a week welding. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Everybody thinks i could make a go of it. Work is willing to accept part time employment seriously thinking about it.

Back