Did my first oil change today

I actually enjoyed doing my own work. I’m sure I’m more anal than any shop mechanic.
What I didn’t understand was how my three drain plugs were so **** tight seeing as how I had the very first oil change done at 500 miles this spring. If they would have torqued to the listed spec, how could they feel factory tight when I did it yesterday? Makes me wonder if they even did the oil change. I paid almost $400 for the first service.

They probably didn't change it. Member on here had his bike at the stealership for service work. He thought it would be a good idea to get them to change the spark plugs while at it. After he got the bike back he noticed that the slight dust on top of the cam cover was never disturbed around the spark plug openings. He took the plugs out himself and they was never changed however he did get charged for new plugs and of course labor.

A bunch of members on here do their own work on their bikes. Such as removing the engine and rebuilding the transmission. a) The stealership charges way to much for the service they render b) they half the time don't do as they say c) they don't know WTF they are doing.

It reminds me of some of the automotive part stores around here in which they pull anyone off the street and expect them to explain part lingo such as installation to their customers.

Member on here had his tire changed out at the stealership before meeting other members on here in Maggie Valley NC.

We noticed that his rear caliper bracket was not mounted correctly. We fixed it at the motel in the parking lot.:rolleyes:

If you ever have problems try to do the work yourself.

Any auto store or even wallyworld will do you fine for the oil and filter, as for the crush washers they can be used quite a few times.
A good torque wrench is your best friend and torque to the specs.
Thanks for the advise, Waycross is in the middle of nowhere miles from any Triumph dealer

The Rocket oil system is known as a "Dry Sump" system. That means your oil supply is mainly stored in an oil tank and is only pumped in and pumped out of the engine as prescribed by the engineering requirements. Having a little more or a little less in the tank doesn't really matter. The oil in the tank is allowed to cool a little so a little more should help it dissipate the heat better.

I kind of like this dry sump thingy. Makes sense.
If I knew for a fact that my dealer didn’t change my oil at my breakin, I’d be furious.
I actually went back to them to buy the oil and filter from them recently just to show some loyalty on my part.

Sad day though cause I’m done riding for the season. I really enjoyed my first season with my r3t. I hate to see it end. I’m gonna miss the beast.
This time of the year I like to hit the hiking trails, so I’ll be getting out there on foot anyway!

Back