Did my first oil change today

Eric R.

Supercharged
Ride
2015 Rocket 3 Touring
I followed the book exactly for my first oil change on my 2015 r3t. I had previously bought the three washers even though I probably didn’t need them. I used Castrol 10-50 motorcycle specific oil, and a Triumph filter.
I retorqued the three plugs to 20 foot pounds. (Book says 18).
The book calls for 5.4 liters, or 5.7 quarts of oil. So, I put 5 1/2 quarts of oil in and started her up, and went downtown to top off the fuel tank. I came home and checked the level, and it appears a little high, but I have a hard time seeing where the level actually is on the chrome stick. I wish the dipstick was made differently because I think it’s hard to tell, especially with clean oil.
I’m sure that I drained all of the old oil out of the three drains, as well as the filter chamber.
Should I worry about being too fussy?
Thanks for any advice, Eric

Thats going to be my first job I do to my new to me bike. Need to get all the bits & bob's. But will have to get it online, no Triumph dealers near to me

Pull out the dip stick and lay it on a paper towel you will be able to see the level where it stains the towel.
Just dump 6 quarts in her and call it a day. Did you have the bike level, plumb when you drained the oil?

I use Motul oil...red in colour and makes it a little easier to see. Not cheap stuff but I like it.
47092105-CE66-4C54-95A6-C8A0CFBEE37B.jpeg

I followed the book exactly for my first oil change on my 2015 r3t. I had previously bought the three washers even though I probably didn’t need them. I used Castrol 10-50 motorcycle specific oil, and a Triumph filter.
I retorqued the three plugs to 20 foot pounds. (Book says 18).
The book calls for 5.4 liters, or 5.7 quarts of oil. So, I put 5 1/2 quarts of oil in and started her up, and went downtown to top off the fuel tank. I came home and checked the level, and it appears a little high, but I have a hard time seeing where the level actually is on the chrome stick. I wish the dipstick was made differently because I think it’s hard to tell, especially with clean oil.
I’m sure that I drained all of the old oil out of the three drains, as well as the filter chamber.
Should I worry about being too fussy?
Thanks for any advice, Eric
I went through the same experience the first few times doing the oil change. Now days at 35,000 miles we add the 5.7 quarts and double check the next day for oil level. Sometimes a little over sometimes a little under. Apparently it has not hurt anything. Bike runs fine. ;););););););)

Thats going to be my first job I do to my new to me bike. Need to get all the bits & bob's. But will have to get it online, no Triumph dealers near to me
Any auto store or even wallyworld will do you fine for the oil and filter, as for the crush washers they can be used quite a few times.
A good torque wrench is your best friend and torque to the specs.

Yes, jag, I held it level for each drain plug. I had read about this procedure here too, so I had good information on the right way to do it and what can go wrong if it’s not done properly. I’m sure it’s fine. I don’t think an ounce or too either way is an issue.
I actually enjoyed doing my own work. I’m sure I’m more anal than any shop mechanic.
What I didn’t understand was how my three drain plugs were so **** tight seeing as how I had the very first oil change done at 500 miles this spring. If they would have torqued to the listed spec, how could they feel factory tight when I did it yesterday? Makes me wonder if they even did the oil change. I paid almost $400 for the first service.

Back