Diamond Cut Wheels

Bubblehead

.020 Over
Ride
Triumph Rocket 3 GT
Has anyone else had corrosion issues with their 2020 GT wheels? My wheels have corrosion issues in record time.

Roadster wheels are the same...if you let the dirt build up enough you can prevent corrosion :thumbsup:...but in all seriousness...I would expect a better finished product given the increase in asking price of the 2.5 over the 2.3. Many ended up powder coated

Roadster wheels are the same...if you let the dirt build up enough you can prevent corrosion :thumbsup:...but in all seriousness...I would expect a better finished product given the increase in asking price of the 2.5 over the 2.3. Many ended up powder coated
I think diamond cut wheels can generally be problematic. UK weather doesn’t help. They have to have a very good weather proof lacquer for prevention...I suspect that’s been the issue.
I have already made enquiries to a local firm about a 2 tone powder coat that should look almost the same finish but better weather protection.

Triumph powder coats the wheels black then machines various rim edges to give the aluminum polished highlights you see on the GT (Which I like). Unfortunately that aluminum is prone to corrosion since it is unprotected. You need to keep the raw metal polished and waxed on a regular basis to prevent corrosion. I have powder coated my wheels on my older Roadster to prevent the ongoing need to buff the aluminum with polishing compound.

Has anyone else had corrosion issues with their 2020 GT wheels? My wheels have corrosion issues in record time.
It's the **** salt on the roads. I was out on mine yesterday (a 2014 Roadster) and when i came back the whole underside and radiator and engine was covered in road salt! I thought they had finished salting the English roads by now but obviously not. When i was out i saw a some white dust on the roads but thought that's what it was, just dust!
I hosed down the whole bike to get rid of it. We now need a good bit of rain to get the crap off of the roads or it's a hose down for mine after every trip.
This salt they put down spells the end of some of the metalwork if left.

I think diamond cut wheels can generally be problematic. UK weather doesn’t help. They have to have a very good weather proof lacquer for prevention...I suspect that’s been the issue.
I have already made enquiries to a local firm about a 2 tone powder coat that should look almost the same finish but better weather protection.
Powder coating is pretty expensive i think. Triumph should already have done it.

Back