2014 R3R begins to start, then cuts off

JudgeMontrose

.020 Over
Ride
'07 Speed Triple, '14 Rocket III Roadster
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10hspx87JwkDbJvPIFWn7Io8dTMrZ6WPK/view?usp=drivesdk

Video above.

I am at a loss. My 2014 Roadster won't start. I left it out during the rain, and have developed the following intermittent issue.

The "N" is lit up when I attempt to start. As soon as I hit start the "N" is replaced by "--". The relay clicks and the starter motor attempts to fire, but immediately cuts out. One time it turned over once before cutting out.

Randomly it started working for a day, but the issue has recurred.

I replaced the gear position sensor; did not help.
Clutch is pulled in and kickstand is up.
Kill switch is on.
Ignition is on.
Battery is charged.
I have tightened the battery cables.

I appreciate any ideas.

If you are still working on it, try pressurized air in the switch. Looks like a ground issue to me too, the switch is likely the culprit. Some WD 40 may help too

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10hspx87JwkDbJvPIFWn7Io8dTMrZ6WPK/view?usp=drivesdk

Video above.

I am at a loss. My 2014 Roadster won't start. I left it out during the rain, and have developed the following intermittent issue.

The "N" is lit up when I attempt to start. As soon as I hit start the "N" is replaced by "--". The relay clicks and the starter motor attempts to fire, but immediately cuts out. One time it turned over once before cutting out.

Randomly it started working for a day, but the issue has recurred.

I replaced the gear position sensor; did not help.
Clutch is pulled in and kickstand is up.
Kill switch is on.
Ignition is on.
Battery is charged.
I have tightened the battery cables.

I appreciate any ideas.

upload_2019-9-22_12-2-43.png

Looks like not enough juice getting through to start it to me

Assuming your cable & battery contacts are clean and tight... New battery required and double up on cables to starter with heavy gauge (e.g. 4) cables in parallel with the stock ones

Upgrading your starter to the 1.4kw 17610 would be a good alternative/addition

That video surely looks like weak battery -- how many times have folks said "fresh battery" and it turns out to be the battery after all. Just measuring 12 V isn't enough.

Sure hope you get it going soon -- has to be something easy.

That video surely looks like weak battery -- how many times have folks said "fresh battery" and it turns out to be the battery after all. Just measuring 12 V isn't enough.

Sure hope you get it going soon -- has to be something easy.

I'm with @Joesmoe on this one. A good battery should run that starter motor for a good 10 seconds or more.
My last "no start" was the fuel pump relay, even though it clicked.

Back