yes its in the front behind the clutch basket pull radiator and clutch assembly change and put it back together location marked in yeller below

Detent spring location.jpg

It can also be checked with a scope without taking the cover off but you have to pull the water pump. Oh and he needs to know what he is looking for :D
see below

Detent Spring Inspection.jpg

Nice square box there Warp...guess you figured Windows out.

my service book reads,
gear selection-renew ?
poss done at 5 to 700 miles ?
Let me ponder on it a bit I have a couple thoughts but was this done for you and did they have to remove and split the motor. If you do not know how long did they have her?

Finally got to reassemble the clutch today. I thought I was doing great until I realize the nut doesn't fully thread so it partially sticks out of the shaft therefore the wavy washer sits on the nut lip (the part where you lock into the groove) Now I don't have a picture of THAT before, not after but it just didn't seem right, I can swear it should thread another mm or 2 in.

Other thing too, once the clutch plates were in and the inside drum was installed, the lifter has a bit of play (in-out) (1-2mm again)

I scoped it and decided to take it all apart thinking maybe the clutch outer drum wasn't sitting properly into the oil sprocket drive pegs but it was.

The way I had it, the crank gear and the clutch gears are even at the front, the crank gear was a little wider at the back. I hope I explain this right.

Did I miss something? Is the oil sprocket drive supposed to somehow lock into something?
Thoughts?

Dear friends, after reading around the forum, I concluded that I may have a damaged detent spring on my 08 touring.

The question I have is that can I still continue to ride it for the time being? I can still shift and all that, just it it pops back into neutral when I cruise at gear 3 or 4. Sometimes I'll have problem engaging into gear 2. Just worried that I may cause further damage but this is my only mode of transport for now.

If it was mine I wouldn't ride it. Every time it slips out of gear, it rounds off the engagement dogs a little more, then it will not stay in gear even with a new detent spring. At that point, the repair time goes from about 4 hours, to 24 hours and $$$ :eek:

If it was mine I wouldn't ride it. Every time it slips out of gear, it rounds off the engagement dogs a little more, then it will not stay in gear even with a new detent spring. At that point, the repair time goes from about 4 hours, to 24 hours and $$$ :eek:
OK that's scary enough for me. Thanks! Will not ride it anymore till I get the spring replaced.

Back