Nat67

Rockgoblin
Ride
Rocket 3 2010 roadster
I am finding a lot less resistance in the return of my gear lever , gearbox is tight , no shift or neutral issues . Is it the beginning of the end for the detent spring or am I just being paranoid ?

I am finding a lot less resistance in the return of my gear lever , gearbox is tight , no shift or neutral issues . Is it the beginning of the end for the detent spring or am I just being paranoid ?
Sorry guys , brain fart ! I actually mean the gearchange return spring . Can this be replaced thru the front cover ?

Sorry guys , brain fart ! I actually mean the gearchange return spring . Can this be replaced thru the front cover ?

YES ! It's the one straddling the pin. The detent spring is behind it, with one hook around the same shaft.

IMG_20170606_194300807.jpg

Last edited:
YES ! It's the one straddling the pin. The detent spring is behind it, with one hook around the same shaft.

IMG_20170606_194300807.jpg
Thank you ! I suspected it would be reachable . The spring has lost a lot of its tension , it still resists in both directions but certainly not tight . I have never known this to happen , I don't think it's broken Just gone slack somehow ?

Thank you ! I suspected it would be reachable . The spring has lost a lot of its tension , it still resists in both directions but certainly not tight . I have never known this to happen , I don't think it's broken Just gone slack somehow ?

Cant say I've heard of that either. As long as it's shifting OK I'd say "no worries Nate" ;)

Nate, have you recently switched oil types? Gone to a better synthetic?

I've noticed that some oils like Mobile 4T allow the trans to shift effortlessly and others..... well.... you know.

Keep us posted.
Yes , I have moved to silkolene and the gearbox is noticeably slicker and the clunk into first from neutral has all but vanished ! The issue is definitely in the return spring tho . The sitting tension of the gear lever is certainly less , which causes the lever to bounce slightly when riding over bumps !

The front cover gasket costs bugger all and you won't lose much oil so its a small price to pay to pull the cover make sure nothing more dramatic/catastrophic is about to occur...

The front cover gasket costs bugger all and you won't lose much oil so its a small price to pay to pull the cover make sure nothing more dramatic/catastrophic is about to occur...
Something inside me says , that is what I should do . As I mentioned before , I have never known a return spring to fail before .
I don't think it's broken because there is a small amount of tension . The detent arm is locking firmly into the pawl , it's just the slack in the lever once it has !

Back