Detent spring location

Kevin frazier

Widowmaker!
Ride
2008 Triumph rocket 3 touring
So on tear down of my engine ive been studying on the detent spring. My pictures on my engine are upside down but there is a dimple on block for reference and the spring part that goes through the eye hook will be the same as the spring open end should face out.. I noticed that depending on how you install this spring it will bind on shaft or slide freely. So first some pictures on my upside down engine. dimple is clearly visible and so is how the hook sits. When hooked correctly, upside down or not, the hook open end is seen at the eye hole you have to hook spring to and it faces out, meaning you can see that hooks open part when you put through that eye. If you ever have to change a detent spring just look at it and see for yourself, with the basket on getting that spring on without pliers or anything that will scratch it is hard and so is getting that spring connected with the eye hook part of spring facing out.

54747A38-4F4A-42C5-ACF5-389B46A838A2.png
93EDDFF4-9726-476C-A5D1-25993FADFD2E.png
4C336676-8F2F-43FF-9978-67B4CAC800DA.png

Last edited by a moderator:
i have never done one
i think that it is an old wifes tail about scratching it makes it break (someone will pounce on me) it always breaks at the angle at the coils.
howto carter pin puller/. break tool/scribe/maybe a small tube pry it down and slide it off./ wire loop
hth

in aviation or where it matters, you will replace a scratched spring or a scratched safety wire. I was just saying dont scratch it, i dont think thats why theryre breaking, I believe it matters if the spring end digs into that shaft. And that causes the pressure on the spot it normally breaks.but if long needle nose is the tool used it could be an issue gauging the spring

in aviation or where it matters, you will replace a scratched spring or a scratched safety wire. I was just saying dont scratch it, i dont think thats why theryre breaking, I believe it matters if the spring end digs into that shaft. And that causes the pressure on the spot it normally breaks.but if long needle nose is the tool used it could be an issue gauging the spring
I used a piece of tie wire to start eye over the pin. Don't recall having any difficulty.

Back