Deep throaty exhaust

What you're calling "arms" are the brushes. They have to be pushed back against their springs, and held there until the armature is inserted. Some have holes where you can put a pin to hold the brush back. Others are much more complicated. And the brushes are only carbon, and very fragil. A tap with a hammer, usually breaks them. Sorry, but true.
oh!!!!

they all do push back then spring back into place but there are no pins. it looks as though the armature should come apart into 3 parts but at the min i have one part attached to bike where it comes off then what looks like 2 parts to the casing as there is a rubber seal about a third way up from the bottom

First off, lets get the terms right. The armature is the cylindrical object you pulled out with the spline on one end and bearing on the other. The armature body is actually called the field winding assembly which appears to hold the 4 brushes in your picture. You need to get the end off that assembly to gain access to the brush holder and brushes. You already removed the 2 long bolts, now remove the 2 short ones then carefully pull the cap off. This video will explain everything you need to do to put it back together.

First off, lets get the terms right. The armature is the cylindrical object you pulled out with the spline on one end and bearing on the other. The armature body is actually called the field winding assembly which appears to hold the 4 brushes in your picture. You need to get the end off that assembly to gain access to the brush holder and brushes. You already removed the 2 long bolts, now remove the 2 short ones then carefully pull the cap off. This video will explain everything you need to do to put it back together.

brilliant, thanks Gregger

thankyou one and all for all your'e help, my rocket is singing like a bird again. once id realised how to get the bottom casing off so i could get to the bushes it was all plain sailing. cleaned it all up, sanded the copper on the plunger as it was corroded, put it all back together (getting the bushes back on was an ass) changed the relay and she fired first time. tried it 3 time just to make sure it wasn't a fluke and started first time every time. i noticed why my clocks dont always work, and its to do with the ignition key, little wiggle of the key and on they come. woohoo test ride tomorrow

well it looks like Gregger has his hands full with this one :laugh:
for the op best find the problem before fixing it.
if u keep fixing different stuff u will have it so messed up u r going to need a genius to straighten it out.

thankyou one and all for all your'e help, my rocket is singing like a bird again. once id realised how to get the bottom casing off so i could get to the bushes it was all plain sailing. cleaned it all up, sanded the copper on the plunger as it was corroded, put it all back together (getting the bushes back on was an ass) changed the relay and she fired first time. tried it 3 time just to make sure it wasn't a fluke and started first time every time. i noticed why my clocks dont always work, and its to do with the ignition key, little wiggle of the key and on they come. woohoo test ride tomorrow
Hard to beat a happy ending 😁

if u have to wiggle the ign switch then i would say your problems is just starting.
u might want to look into a decosse wireless ign set up before it leaves u stranded.
there is also a thread on how to hot wire it.

if u have to wiggle the ign switch then i would say your problems is just starting.
u might want to look into a decosse wireless ign set up before it leaves u stranded.
there is also a thread on how to hot wire it.
thanks turbo will look at that this weekend

Back