Dec 29 ride, YEA!

96 Octane?

Gunshot..... We've got a few Shell stations around town but we can't get anything higher than 91/92 . I guess I could buy some octane boost and add it to the tank. I'd love to see what my beast would do on 96!

Putting in higher octane than you really need is just a waste of money. More octane equates to a slower burn, and if your bike isn't pinging with 89 any more isn't going to make any difference, ie it won't make you any more horsepower. If you have done some mods to your bike that actually has raised compression, such as high compression pistons, a turbo or supercharger, you may need more octane. At higher compression levels gas tends to ignite sooner and burn faster which will cause pinging and knocking, and may actually cause mechanical damage to your engine.

There are other fuels that are oxygenated that racers use and people use when doing dyno runs to get higher numbers. We used to buy some stuff called Cam II that was a high octane racing fuel that had qxygenators in it and I used to run it in my old E Type (that just loved to overheat and needed all the octane you could throw at it). That stuff was very expensive and since it didn't comply with Federal Emissions Standards you could not pump it directly into your car. They made you put it gas cans and you had to drive off of the lot to pour it into your tank. They took this very seriously, and if you tried to jack them around they wouldn't sell to you anymore. There was always a lock on the pump. Ahhh... the good old days.:D

Tomo:

Lets see...Canned gas, canned heat (Sterno), canned ham (Hormel). In the can (not desirable). I've been know to have canned gas on occasion, much to my wife's dismay.:D

Around here we have Turbo Blue at select gasoline stations. Same deal, no pump it in your on road vehicle.

I'm wondering if the Rat.Net would tolerate my twisted humor??

On a different note, the weather turned "ugly" here overnight. It's raining hard, windy and in the low 40's. The cloud deck is so low that the horizon seems nonexistent. According to NOAA, snow showers tonight and tomorow.

Last edited:
I rode past Gun Lake and Gull Lake yesterday, the ride theme of the day was Barry County. I bought some patches at Life Cycle in Kazoo. I headed home on Varmintville (Vermontville) Hwy.

Flip, I have a peace offering from Jim for you.

PF, how was the demo ride on the Rocket?

Last edited:
Back