Tazshido

.040 Over
In an undisclosed location in the Middle East.
I have looked through the dark side section and searched the R3T section for info on darksiding the R3T. I have gleaned the the standard takes a 225/55 to 235/50 car tire in place of the 240 section bike rear tire. The R3T calls for a 180/70/16 so what does that equate to in a safe car tire for use on that bike. And are there good performance tires in that smaller size available? I read a post by (I think) Crazyman that he went dark side on his Rocket III tour.

Another question about going to the darkside is this; I live in Wyoming, and often will ride some of the most beautiful Colorado mountain roads high up in the Rockys. How will a car tire handle twisty mountain roads? I've seen that almost famous pic of the Rocket cranked over at an ungodly angle up on the corner of a car tire. (Makes my stomach queasy and I ride a sport bike now).

I suppose that at the price of a (I'm assuming) 155/50/16 car tire I could simply try it out and If I didn't like it I'd only be out 75 bucks tops. But any info I can get from experienced riders would be appreciated.

Is there any car tire, other than antiques, made today less than a 205/xx-16 that is unidirectional. I have no idea at this pont...but eventually I will make a point of it:D

Just trying to get the time down below 2:20:rolleyes:

Last edited:
JDuke1980 is running a c/t on his R3T. Send him a note for the details.

When you look at that picture of the darkside Roc cranked over, move your eyes slightly to the actual contact patch still on the road. You will see that it's still larger than the m/c tire.

Last edited:
Taz,
I have had my darkside (225/50R16) on my classic for a week and have ridden about 800 miles. I live in east TN and had the tire installed in Dawsonville, Ga. On the way home rode several miles on twisty roads and have ridden on several since. I was amazed at how well the ct rode and feel more confident on it than the mt. The biggest challenges to me were at low speeds (> 10 mph). I do not plan to go back.
rider

I have a 205/60/16 Goodyear Trippletread Assurance 80,000 mile tire... smallest tire that I could find that would fit.... hell, it's the only size that I could find that would fit. It cost around $125. I think some of the Valk riders are using the same tire and same size.

Handles fine in the twisties. I just got back from the N. GA Mountains, and it did great w/ a passenger in the twisties also. (1st time I've been in twisties w/ a passenger and a car tire) I had the bike layed over pretty far at one point and never felt like I was going to lose traction.

Alot better traction accelerating and breaking.

I have a good picture of myself on the tail of the dragon, and as Tdragger said, even though it looks like there's alot of tire off the ground, there is still more on the ground than any motorcycle tire I've seen.

I doubt I would ever go back to a motorcycle tire on this bike.

Great info

Thanks all for the information. Crazyman, did you have to make an adjustment to your speedo for the 205/60/16. I will have to try it out. I have my doubts though. I didn't even like it much when My Avon Storm ST started to get squared off. Of course that was on a sport bike that was being leaned over alot farther than a rocket can even go. Again, Thanks

Back