Darkside tread design

rusty

Turbocharged
Ride
2005 Rocket III
To those who have gone "Darkside", I'd like to know if you have noticed lots of "rock slinging" with the more agressive thread, as well as "deeper" grooves. Now that I have the Cooper Zeon 2XP mounted (and ready for fair weather), I'm looking at the rear tire & thinking, "That thing is going to fling rocks (and good size ones) everywhere." :eek: I'm not only concerned about cager's windshields but the rear fender.

If, at 80+ MPH, that tire decides to gobble up a nice size rock, hold on for a revolution or two, then reguritate it, sending it into the underside of the fender, what will the result be? Has anyone found a "reverse dimple" in the rear sheetmetal? I'm considering a rubber shield affixed to the fender mounting bracket system to ward off just such a possible happening. I'm having the tank & rear fender upgraded, along with new rubber (which hopefully stays on the pavement), and don't wish to find a lump where one should not be in the rear metal.

All Darksiders (Britman, Snuff, Gunshots, Reg, etc), please share your experience with the tire upgrade, with respect to my concerns. I know not all of you are running the Cooper Zeon but the tread surely is more agressive than the stock Metz.

See ya.

No issues with it here. Just to make sure, I relocated the plate to above the taillight (like Britman's) so that any of those nasty critters will go fling'n right out the back.:rolleyes:

Seriously, you're over-thinking on this one. Nothing to worry about. IMHO.

Rusty I have never heard anything strike the rear fender whatsoever, your concerns are unfounded I believe. I don't travel in gravel at 80mph to find out either. Have considered a mudflap in the rain but the last time out in I evaded the puddles and the rider had no evidence of tire fling at all. I will say using the rear for stopping has worn the edge of the tread a bit as I tend to skid the last foot just for giggles and grins. I tend to chirp on downshifts while braking which also is for giggles and grins. The increased forward enthusiasm has shown with tread evidence as well, just not as much.

The car tire on a motorcycle doesn't sling rocks any worse than it does on a car.:rolleyes: For me it has been a positive move. It handles great and rides smother than the metzler did. The ride is also softer due to the reduced tire pressure.I run a Riken Raptor ZR 225/55/16. Some guys like the wider tires some narrower.

My Cooper 2XS hasn't picked up any gravel. If there is a better chance for picking up gravel than on my own crush and run gravel driveway I've not run across it yet. I also try to keep my transition across it below 50:D

My only issue has been on relative fresh chip coat. The Road Commission does lots of that here in Michigan. A Good coat of tar then a thick coat of chipped stone. They leave it there for the cagers to pack it into the tar and old road surface. If any one is behind you, its like driving into hail stones. I installed a mud flap below the trailer hitch, it slows most of the missiles:cool:

Back