3D printers now so cheap we should design and make our own R3 parts

Ishrub

That's my name ....built like a truck
Ride
2x2010 ABS Roadsters, Sprint ST 1050 ABS, 3x250s
3D printers now so cheap we should design and make our own R3 parts. I do not have the IT skills re CAD etc but I'm sure many on the forum do.

These are now only Au$399 ( US$300) Balco 3D Printer with 4 x FREE Filaments and Print Mat | Printers |

BCO-3DPRNT-1.jpg

Balco 3D Printer with 4 x FREE Filaments and Print Mat
Bring your designs to life in 3D.

$399 + Delivery $33.41 to me
Was $499
Overview
Make your own toys, models, spare parts, figurines, phone cases, jewellery and more with the Balco 3D Printer with 4 x FREE Filaments and Print Mat.

• Print straight from MicroSD Cards
  • The heated print bed prevents slipping for accurate printing
  • Large print area allows for most of your design ideas come to life
  • Smooth printing with a 3-point bearing system
  • Perfect for the DIY enthusiast, hobbyist, industrial designer or student
Features:
  • Build Volume: 200 × 200 × 180mm
  • Fused Filament Fabrication Technology
  • 100-400 micron Layer Resolution
  • Works with most 3D model files .stl, .obj, .dae, .amf
I would like to have options for a bracket fitting to fit a Heads Up Display (HUD) behind the Fly, Sports (clear) and Roadster type full screens. I have bought a GPS HUD and a platform and extra screen device if the flexible plastic sheet film does not work satisfactorily.

GPS Car Head Up Display | Automotive Accessories |

KAHUDQ7GPSA_2.jpg

Dimensions 12.5 x 7.5 x 1.5cm
Weight 115g
Display Size 5.5"

Head Up Display HUD Film Protective Reflective Screen 5.9" * 4.9" Item Number K3036 $2.60 AUD

Universal Car HUD Navigation Bracket GPS Mobile Phone Holder Big Screen HD Reflection Projector
Item Number K4557 $21.47 AUD
Only US$15.79, Universal Car HUD Navigation Bracket GPS Mobile Phone Holder - Tomtop.com

K4557-1-6bff-eJPb.jpg

If plastic parts suits your fancy, fine...but I think motorcycle parts, well at best, you could print up a pattern for casting a real part with real metal.

A very interesting tool to have but only good for prototyping really.
I've had a good few custom parts made after drawing them in CAD. Friend has one of these printers.
But the part I end up using is fabricated by machine shop at a cost that'd make your eyes water :)

But at least the 3d printer saves u on iterations of various revisions of the part. R&D is expensive.
Another limit to be aware of is the size of the part u can prototype is limited by the printer's size

@Bob R From the link you provided it appears they make their own pellets from waste and rubbish. A lot more effort than I want to go to though.

Last edited:
@Bob R From the link you provided it appears they make their own pellets from waste and rubbish. A lot more effort than I want to go to though.

There's a lot involved in 3D printing - It's not just pushing a button to get whatever you want.

Also - the finish is never as good as ppl expect and printing one alone part can take many hours - even overnight.

I use Upbox printers professionally but only for prototyping - and I'm pretty good with AutoCAD etc. If you're expecting a quick, quality output with no training or experience you're likely to be very disappointed regardless how cheap you buy.

Rev you took the words right out of my mouth the idea is great buy a printer and stick parts on your bike but in reality it is a wee bit different, but who am I :banghead: if someone wants to try it I will be the first to demo the parts for you.

I think there are quite a few parts that could be made by a 3D printer that would work. Mainly cosmetic parts that are already plastic and out of production (thank you Triumph) (fender rails, etc). I have no idea how to get them plated if you wanted chrome but the rest should be able to be painted or coated to match paints. No way would I make anything that had much load bearing at all or could cause issues upon failure.

bob

Back