Cutting Down The Bear Claw

Hey, have any of you claw cuttin' guys noticed any negative performance issues related to airflow disturbance or is it all taken care of (or hidden) with the K&N/exhaust/tuneboy mods I'm sure all of you have done.

Put another way - is it easier to tune with a cut down partial BC or a stock BC over K&Ns?

Another question - with the cut down BC, do you have to push it out from the tank with washers (as shown in the old sticky on K&Ns)?

GorgeRider.

GorgeRider said:
Hey, have any of you claw cuttin' guys noticed any negative performance issues related to airflow disturbance or is it all taken care of (or hidden) with the K&N/exhaust/tuneboy mods I'm sure all of you have done.

Put another way - is it easier to tune with a cut down partial BC or a stock BC over K&Ns?

Another question - with the cut down BC, do you have to push it out from the tank with washers (as shown in the old sticky on K&Ns)?

GorgeRider.

1) no, nothing negative except the cricket chirping sound from the 3 K&N's suckin' air.
2)doin' the 12 minute tune, it don't make no difference.
3)nope, mines bolted to the tank permanent.
Raise the tank and up she comes with it.

xhdskip said:
GorgeRider said:

GorgeRider.

1) no, nothing negative except the cricket chirping sound from the 3 K&N's suckin' air.
2)doin' the 12 minute tune, it don't make no difference.
3)nope, mines bolted to the tank permanent.
Raise the tank and up she comes with it.

+1

I have recently fitted tripple K&N's and have thought about cutting the claw. I sat and looked at it for a while and came to the conclusion that Triumph had done a good job designing it (it's not sharp and less likely to cause injury) and if anything I would only trim maybe 30 or 40mm from the bottom following the original contour (enough to expose the filters under the claw). Then pack it out about 10-15mm so you can raise the tank without removing it. I will also try to find a black rubber trim to fill the gap at the top of the claw.

Back