cruise control

I am with you Pianoman. I actually find my fingers getting numb with most of the devices on the market I have tried. And I find them dangerous. Very interested in the Audiovox! Anybody else installed it. I will be emailing you screwloose.

Sidecar Flip said:
I looked at the Audiovox install on another website as a visitor, this is my home, but I do poke around infrequently.

The one thing I didn't particularly like was the actuator motor hanging out under the already crowded bearclaw on a cobbly looking bracket and the idea that you have to hide a vacuum reservoir somewhere on the bike, assuming there is room which there isn't.

It's a neat idea but it don't look very intergrated.
Edit Note: Pics added to post to compliment text.
Not the case on my install.
The actuator motor sits under the left side cover where your relays are, and is completely unseen .

I routed the cable alongside the frame and out the front edge of the bearclaw, where it loops around for a straight shot at the throttle linkage.There's maybe 6 inches of exposed cable at either end.

Doing two other mods before you start this one makes it a piece of cake. First, Rivco Highway bars- This changes the mounting bracket from a long 8-10 inch bar to a short 3" triangle, it's stiffer & looks better too. Second, If you've done the undertank KN Airfilter mod, the place where the old airfilter goes makes a perfect home for the vacuum reservoir; you can easily fit two 6" pieces of 2" diameter PVC pipe in this space, which is plenty for the reservoir.

I sent Pig9R a few pics, maybe he can post them here. If not, email me, I will send them along.
John

Last edited:
Looks like the Audiovox is the way to go for true cruise. I will ahve to get one of those as well, love the cruise on my other bike. But with 16 inch ape hangers it comes in very handy.

Freak

Nice pics

Pig9r, thanks for posting those pics. Was thinking about getting that as well and your pics make it look pretty integrated and neat. Really appreciate the cruise control on the Wing, I'm sure it will be a very welcome addition on the Rocket.
Thanks,
Dennis

Audiovox cruise

Put one of the CCS100 cruise controls on the 2006 Rocket III Classic.

I was able to just toss the bracket on the cruise unit and used two large zip ties to fasten it to the relay rack mount under the left side cover.

Used a Simpson Strong-Tie brand Twist Strap (from lumber yard, these are flat plate steel with 90 degree bend --- http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/LTS-MTS-HTS.html)
... was able to bend one end of the twist strap in a vice, then drilled holes to attach it to the two bolts that hold on the bracket for the top mount on the coolant resovoir (sandwiched between the outer plastic protective cover and the resovoir bracket ... and projecting out between the plastic cover and the throttle linkage) ... ground off the excess on the other end ... mounted the cable bracket from the CCS100 kit on the underside ... painted it all flat black.

Did not "T" into any existing vacuum lines ... used the capped vacuum connection at the very back of the throttle body rack ... 6" of 1-1/2 inch PVC capped for a resovoir under the seat (in place of the tool kit).

Chuck

A long skinny one beats a short fat one any day.......

Witness:

Thanks for the input. I'm still amassing parts. I have the cruise control in the shop but I'm going a different route with the vacuum cannister. JCW sells a pre-plumbed cannister with mounting lugs for 12 bucks. I'm going with that. I want to retain the stock filter as well as the tool kit so the cannister is going under the tank attached to the upper left frame tube. The JCW cannister is long and slim.

I'm going with the triangular aluminum mount (6016 sheet as well as the same for the handlebar mounted control). I've got plenty of that around here. Polished and lacquered, it looks really good.

I got my Css from Amazon for 89 bucks and used Super Saver shipping so shipping was free. The JCW cannister was 12 so I'm still below 110 bucks. The JCW cannister already has the one way ball check valve in the cannister so other than di-electric push to connect splices, I have everything. Just have to do it now.

I haven't tried this but you can skip the vacuum canister and related plumbing altogether. The biggest problem with these vacuum criuse controls is surging and inability to maintain correct speed due to the supply of vacuum being so spotty. Those cannisters give you only a second or two supply which just confuses the crap out of the processor trying to keep things under control. This has been a huge complaint on cars for a long time....

To get around this simply get a vacuum pump. Nissan uses these on all of their cars from about 1994 to about 2001 (after that they went to Fly by wire and the criuse is operated by the electronic throttle actuator) . Go to a junkyard and find the the cruise vacuum actuator pod and simply follow the vacuum line back to the pump. Take the plug with it (cut the harness leaving as much wire as possible to work with.) There are 4 wires going into that connector... I'll post the color codes and what to do with them tomorrow. You could simply wire it up to your cruise "On" switch and there you have it... a perfect and constant vacuum source for your cruise without all that mickey mouse crap that doesn't work anyway.

HTH...

Tomo

Back