cruise control

I just can't see spending $170-$200 for a throttle lock, which is not a cruise control and will really only allow you to release the throttle for brief periods. Speeds will still fluctuate greatly with the lock engaged. Being able to release the throttle to... rest, make adjustments, change arm or hand position to relieve tension, etc... is a benefit, but you can get that for $30 with the Vista Cruise.

Cruise Control UPDATE

I sent another e-mail to McCruise.com, the company that makes the TRUE electronic cruise controls for cycles and he said that they are willing to begin the development and design phase for the Rocket 3. The problem is that they are located in Victoria Australia. Too far from Southern California for me to loan my bike. Anybody "Down Under" willing to let them use your bike. They are asking to see more than one bike to make sure that the new system fits all.

Here is a quote from the e-mail message,
"If you could get the bikes we could have a look. The actual development would take about 6 weeks elapsed time. About 1 week for initial development of brackets etc, a couple of weeks to get the brackets back from the laser cutters and then a week to install and test. Finally several weeks to develop the instructions. We would need the prototype bike for about two weeks with a week or more between.

In order to do the development we need guaranteed orders for a minimum of 20 bikes. The prototype bike would have the kit installed for free and trade price on the kit.

Please note that we have development in train for the Clubcar Carry All 294 and Polaris Ranger, K1200S BMW, Triumph Sprint and Suzuki DL100 and 650. If you are interested, the earlier you can commit to this, the quicker we can get to it."

Let me know if any Captains "Down Under" are interested in buying one of these cruise controls and if you're willing to give up your bike for a bit...

Regards,

They wont be getting my bike for there development,this is the email I got back

Hi Jarrod,

The cost would be around $700 as long as we can be sure of other orders. We need the bike for two single weeks with a week or two in between to get brackets cut. Before we commit however we need to see the bike close up to determine just how difficult - or possible, the project will be. Is your bike absolutely standard?

We look forward to hearing from you.

They can stick that right up there rrrrr

Can anyone point me to the link where the guy modified his Rocket to use a true cruise control (I think it was an audiovox)?
It was a pretty complete post, and I saw it before I actually purchased my own rocket & now I can't find if. If deleted, maybe someone has the guy's email or a way to get in contact with him?
Thanks

My Pick

I'm still hanging on that someday, before I die or get my first Social Security check, someone will develop an electronic cruise for us.

Right now I couldn't be more pleased with the Throttlemeister. Actually I don't think there's a lot of difference in weight between the regular and heavy models. They're both fairly substantial and balanced.

For me, I can put my little finger over the cruise element and the rest of my hand on the throttle and twist them together quite easily. Though it holds the throttle at your setting, you still have the capability to counter-twist (did I just make up a tech word?) either the throttle or both with ease. :cool:

found this posted on another rocket III forum, looks interesting, here's the link

www.r3owners.com/viewtopic.php?t=2588

uses an Audiovox CSS-100 cruise control.
screwloose

Ok, I just finished installing the Audiovox CSS-100 automotive cruise control on my '06 RIII Classic and it works GREAT! These little babies can be had for around $100 on Ebay and various other sources. It requires fabricating 1 metal bracket that any machine shop could make for under $50 (hell, mine didn't even charge me!) and the rest can be bought at your local hardware/autoparts store for less than $20. So for under $200, you can tell McCruise to find another source of income.
This is TRUE cruise; it compensates for up & down slope, and can vary the set speed in 1-mph increments with a simple tap on the control, just like an automobile cruise. It's very unobtrusive, and disengages quickly by tapping either brake or pulling the clutch lever.
I've got lots of pictures on my install, and notes of the things that gave me trouble
( I'm NOT very mechanical; that's how easy this is with a little advice) . Feel free to email me at screwloose@se.rr.com if you want the pics & notes. Kudos to Honker, the guy that walked me through the install.
John:bch:

I looked at the Audiovox install on another website as a visitor, this is my home, but I do poke around infrequently.

The one thing I didn't particularly like was the actuator motor hanging out under the already crowded bearclaw on a cobbly looking bracket and the idea that you have to hide a vacuum reservoir somewhere on the bike, assuming there is room which there isn't.

It's a neat idea but it don't look very intergrated.

Back