Last edited:
When these oh **** moments happen they are usually so fast you have no time to think or react, although in your case In think you did bloody good, as we all know oil on the road is like ice on the road and as we only have two points of contact so we try and avoid it at all times.
Combination of factors at work here
#1-Previous accident(oil on the road)
#2-early norning-was the sun in your eyes?
#3- Cold tyres-the first few miles on a bike are more dangerous untill the tyres get warmed up.
#4-We all like the torque on these bikes but in this case it did not help you
The main point out of all this is A-T-G-A-T-T in this situation your helmet probably saved your life or at the very least stopped you from talking funnier:D, one lesson learned here is that the short wearing , flipflop(thongs) helmetless riders take note.
Considering it was a high side crash you were lucky the bike did not land on top of you, unlike a low-side crash where the bike is sliding ahaead of you.

1-yes
2-yes
3-yes
4-yes

Yeh I couldn’t figure out how I got away from the bike, I am wondering if the wheel regaining traction spun the rear... the bike moved ahead and to the right... I ended up on my right but behind it.... when it was all over I was facing the engine sump and it was a foot from me at most so I guess it was pretty close... I got a good look at the bottom of my bike!

And yes..... re gear.... please everyone wear all the gear all the time.... I doubt I’d be here if I hadn’t had a helmet and without leather and Kevlar I’d have left a lot of skin on the road! Matter of fact I’m going to go get even more gear now!

Last edited:
I am happy to read your story that you wrote yourself brother. I never like reading these written by a reporter. The bike does look pretty good for the mishap and I do hope you do too. The neck will be with you the longest I guess.
As for the back tire loosing traction, I cannot say what would work in this case. I have on occasion (with no abs bikes) held the rear brake till a complete stop if I lock it up during emergency stopping. That kept me from the dreaded high side on my VMAX a couple of times. That is not the case for this crash though so I don't have anything helpful to offer.
Heal quick brother and good fortune for your future rides!

In addition to ATGATT (which I do) the thought I am taking away is to remain vigilant when riding on familiar roads. I know that when riding on familiar roads I can tend to pay less attention since they are so familiar. I do not think, from what you have described, that this would have made a lot of difference in your situation, but it might. Accidents, by definition, are unplanned events. Some can be avoided, some cannot. This may have been the latter. Remaining vigilant gives us the best chance in either.

Fortunately this is America. There should be no less than 6 people / organization's you can sue. This could be your ticket to your own private island ! Sad but true. Seriously though, glad you and your bike are mostly Ok.
Can we have a list Fred? - for we non-US-residents. I have a particular Island in mind you see. It already has a refinery and some pretty decent Rum.

Ok well at least I didn’t touch brake!! The throttle wasn’t that far open but I think I simply maintained the same speed... it’s hard to tell as it was soo sudden, I was riding then in air, then a loud noise as my head /helmet hit the roadway and then I basically was on the road looking at my engine sump...

Unless you are a trained professional racer, you most likely went to brakes when the rear kicked out. We all would have. Tis why we see even the pros hi-side now and then. A gradual acceleration - no brakes, front or rear, yields your best chance of a recovery.
Upon entering any slick surface, tis best to just maintain a steady speed and straight line with no braking.

Unless you are a trained professional racer, you most likely went to brakes when the rear kicked out. We all would have. Tis why we see even the pros hi-side now and then. A gradual acceleration - no brakes, front or rear, yields your best chance of a recovery.
Upon entering any slick surface, tis best to just maintain a steady speed and straight line with no braking.

I am certain I applied no brake, I had no opportunity to... in fact one thing I need to do something about with the bike is the rear brake pedal is too close for me I have to move my foot to get on it, I really need to make a custom lever to extend it forward

I am certain I applied no brake, I had no opportunity to... in fact one thing I need to do something about with the bike is the rear brake pedal is too close for me I have to move my foot to get on it, I really need to make a custom lever to extend it forward

Accepted. The alternate would be that the oil, which caused the wheel under acceleration to step out, ended.
While stepped, out the clear dry pavement provided a sudden increase in friction which allowed the tire(s) to regain traction, causing the top of your motor to pitch forward and you to be catapulted off.
Many, many issues were in play here - too many unknown to address regarding a definitive cause. :D :thumbsup:

Back