IMG_3050.JPG
IMG_3053.jpg
IMG_3055.jpg
IMG_3058.jpg
IMG_3060.jpg
IMG_3066.jpg
IMG_3070.jpg
Hi all,

sad to sad I crashed the bike, but it looks like we will both live to ride another day!! :)

I've attached some images as Im interested in hearing opinions, I always try to learn from an off but Im not sure what I could have done. Was leaving home for work, travelling along a well known route, doing probably about 40kms/hr (i had been accelerating having just passed over a speed hump at very low speed).

My experience was I was upright and slowly gaining speed, felt the rear wheel move and the bike started to slide, next thing I know I've high sided and hit my right shoulder and head against the roadway and it was all over - it was reasonably violent - had to go to hospital in ambulance as I wasn't with it apparently - I have a fine fracture to my T2 vertebrae and soft tissue damage to right shoulder but should recover fully within a month or two and will be back on the bike.

I was wearing all the gear, leather jacket is a fair bit thinner on right arm and eps liner on helmet has compressed at point of impact so I guess i'll be going helmet and jacket shopping (never a bad thing). Kevlar jeans held up well with minimal wear and boots were undamaged. Emergency services seemed impressed with the armor in my jacket - i guess a lot of riders don't wear it?

I do recall the bike starting to slide, i went with it and didn't do anything with the throttle or brakes before coming off but to be honest it was soo quick I'm not sure how else i could have reacted. Ive been daily commuting for many years and at 42 I haven't had an off since i was a teenager so i think I'm a competent rider.

The main damage to bike is a snapped off brake lever, scuffed right mirror and master brake reservoir cover, scuffed right floorboard, and scuffed right saddle bag, there is denting and scratching to the right silencer underneath not visible in pic of bike, there is also a bit of damage to the right highway peg and the crash bars front and rear on the right are more scratched than the pic shows.

There was an accident on the road 5hrs before. The sand visible on the roadway before the actual of point of coming off was not there and the it was not so visible early in morning. its since been cleaned and sand put down but the oil is still obvious on the roadway and the surface still felt slippery in sneakers many days later.

I am thinking i was unfortunate enough to come along before the road was cleaned, picked up oil and the rear wheel lost and regained traction and I high sided.

does anything else stand out to anyone in the pics that I might learn from? should i have reacted more quickly instead of going with the slide, would it likely have changed anything (Ive always been told not to shut off the throttle or hit the brake)?

thanks...

Image 2 Through Roundabout.jpg

Image 3 crash position.jpg
Image 5 helmet EPS liner damage.jpg
image 6 damage to exterior of helmet.jpg
Image 7 bike left side.JPEG
Image 8 bike right side.JPEG

Glad to see ya didn't do much damage Back on the Iron Horse a.
Had a bit of a tumble my self a few months back but still up and walking to .
Sad to see the pride and joy go after 13 years.
stay safe Mate.
Had to get another rocket tho

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to see... glad the gear did its job... :ninja:
-MIG

Last edited:
IMG_3045.JPG
IMG_3046.JPG
IMG_3049.JPG
IMG_3050.JPG
IMG_3053.jpg
IMG_3055.jpg
IMG_3058.jpg
IMG_3060.jpg
IMG_3066.jpg
IMG_3070.jpg

Glad to see ya didn't do much damage Back on the Iron Horse a.
Had a bit of a tumble my self a few months back but still up and walking to .
Sad to see the pride and joy go after 13 years.
stay safe Mate.
Had to get another rocket tho

Ouch... I feel better about my off now!!

As a side note... I have discovered how the oil got on the road I went down on... it’s not motor oil, it’s a large quantity of cooking oil from a waste management company and covered nearly 100m of road!!!

Ouch... I feel better about my off now!!

As a side note... I have discovered how the oil got on the road I went down on... it’s not motor oil, it’s a large quantity of cooking oil from a waste management company and covered nearly 100m of road!!!

You see, I told ya. These folks have sloppy operations here in the USA too. Here in Texas the asphalt trucks are notorious for this dripping practice not to mention flying rocks from dumpsters.

Cooking oil a , and they jam every last bit into those Bulkys to.
They need to make shore they seal them up right
Some things are unavoidable on the road to.
I just did a 9000 km ride to darwin then was just doing a short 400km run to Esperence to ride back with a mate of mine coming
back from the GP from Philip island ,when come over the hill there was 9 meters of water across the road .
Did a bit of acraplaning and got about 1.5 meters from the end and washed out .
Yes it had been raining on and off and I had plenty of experience of riding in the raid ,old bike had done well over 100,000 km on the clock.
Good news was only disconnected shoulder and a bit of skin off the gut and calf.
just played on my back and did the bob sled till the last few meters.
Vertically got up and walked away.
Thanks to the bike gods.
I was laying in bed 2 days later with the iPad and the cook walked in and asked what I was looking at.
Yes **** Bike ****.
2011 roadster 5800km on the clock, got it For $14K
Luv the High Way and no cage around ya.
Call me a slow learner, I cal it passion.
This is the new chariot .
I have put new exhaust and she is in getting new cams.

Attachments

• IMG_3351.jpg
    IMG_3351.jpg
    569.9 KB · Views: 1
Cooking oil a , and they jam every last bit into those Bulkys to.
They need to make shore they seal them up right
Some things are unavoidable on the road to.
I just did a 9000 km ride to darwin then was just doing a short 400km run to Esperence to ride back with a mate of mine coming
back from the GP from Philip isla ,when come over the hill there was 9 meters of water across the road .
Did a bit of acraplaning and got about 1.5 meters from the end and washed out .
Yes it had been raining on and off and I had plenty of experience of riding in the raid ,old bike had done well over 100,000 km on the clock.
Good news was only disconnected shoulder and a bit of skin off the gut and calf.
just played on my back and did the bob sled till the last few meters.
Vertically got up and walked away.
Thanks to the bike gods.
I was laying in bed 2 days later with the iPad and the cook walked in and asked what I was looking at.
Yes **** Bike ****.
2011 roadster 5800km on the clock, got it For $14K
Luv the High Way and no cage around ya.
Call me a slow learner, I cal it passion.
This is the new chariot .
I have put new exhaust and she is in getting new cams.

Yup.... my wife caught me shopping for a new jacket online whilst I was lying in the hospital.... the look on her face was priceless... I just shrugged and said riding is what I do.... we all know the risks but I can’t change me....

The roadster is a great bike... I was actually going to get one originally but fell in love with the touring, something about the bags I just couldn’t resist.... :)

I smell lawsuit...... can almost taste it...... :)
Possibly, what I’m trying to do is get the insurer to recover costs from the waste management company.... the idea being that if that happens more often then insurance premiums might get reduced and there will be less riders with at fault claims when they’re not at fault.... I actually looked at statistics recently and about 40% of accidents in NSW Australia are single rider accident, half are related to speed but one in 5 of them are due to road surface problems..... so something like 8% of motorcycle accidents are just because the roads don’t get cleaned.... and yet we pay the government for it.... dig a little deeper into the stats and 9 people were killed and 911 seriously injured in a period of about 4 years as a result of gravel and oil on a road....

Yup.... my wife caught me shopping for a new jacket online whilst I was lying in the hospital.... the look on her face was priceless... I just shrugged and said riding is what I do.... we all know the risks but I can’t change me....

The roadster is a great bike... I was actually going to get one originally but fell in love with the touring, something about the bags I just couldn’t resist.... :)

Ha Ha Ha ,Nice stile Brother .
It is what it is.

Back